Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Steeplechase Mast Break  Bottom

• Is this the same boat that harpooned a guy on day 1?
  • I don't know anything about racing, but why would yo set a course for a sailboat race that required you to go under a bridge that some boats may not be able to pass?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • That bridge has lots of taller sections to go under, but they were trying to cut down on distance sailed by passing under a section closer to land.

Ouch.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I love the commentator at the end of the video..

"See, I told you that might happen!"

Should have told the skipper. icon_evil

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Rider_55Is this the same boat that harpooned a guy on day 1?

Never mind. Sail # 2224 harpooned the guy at the start and sail # 2230 snapped his mast. Expensive day to be on an ARC 22.
  • 38.6' mast
    38.2 span

2 guys on the wire when they go under... none when they come out
  • ouch, that hurt.
    icon_redface icon_redface

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • what little commentary that is on this clip is poetry...

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • QuoteI don't know anything about racing, but why would yo set a course for a sailboat race that required you to go under a bridge that some boats may not be able to pass

I don't know much about races besided the ones i have seen here in my neck of the woods, so I asked if this "obstacle" was hit in the past and how would a new racer (or old) know the span height or what span was safe. they lam-basted me for that "rookie question" but it in fact has been hit in the past.

As Damon said, these guys new this bridge, had sailed (and won) previous years i hear as well.
  • Kind of like putt putt, you have to know how to play the clown's mouth. The stakes are high.
  • tuff day at the office...

Edited by coastrat on Dec 15, 2011 - 08:22 PM.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • QuarathI don't know anything about racing, but why would yo set a course for a sailboat race that required you to go under a bridge that some boats may not be able to pass?

There is a section of the bridge that is more than tall enough about 6 spans to right on video.. The were trying to make up time and take the shorter course , guess it didn't pay off .. As far as obstacles etc , its a distance race hence the name Steeplechase lol

Edited by George1067 on Dec 16, 2011 - 05:30 AM.
  • MN338.6' mast
    38.2 span

2 guys on the wire when they go under... none when they come out

How much can the spans very due to conditions, time of day, season, ect...?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • That is a sickening sound!
    And going from an adrenaline rush on trapeze to Oh Sh*t in the cold water is no picnic either.
    Hard day at the ranch.

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • QuoteHow much can the spans very due to conditions, time of day, season, ect...?

Well, tidal flux varies alot from location to location and of course that won't happen at the same time every day...The main thing here is that the height of any bridge shown on a chart is the highest point at high tide....not any of the other bridge spans. In Flordia and probably any where else, a guage will show the hight at the center...but not elsewhere. These guys were clearly eyeballin it and were just a smidge off....

As a kid we used to flip our boat on it's side and swam it through (not the center span) to get it under our local bridge....but even that has issues as a tall mast (I suppose) might not fit horizontally either. Also with the rudder(s) out of the water, it was never good to have a power boat push up a wake while we were under the bridge and near the pilings...

--
    Bert Scott
    Niceville, FL
    Nacra F18
    --
  • klozhald cold water is no picnic either.

in key largo? nooo way.
  • matt922
    klozhald cold water

nooo way.

WAY!
    At last years Tradewinds it was 34 degrees crossing Alligator Alley and very cold on Thursday in the keys. I still had ice on my boat (from the ice storm) as far south as Orlando.

--
    Philip
    --
  • mummp
    At last years Tradewinds it was 34 degrees crossing Alligator Alley and very cold on Thursday in the keys. I still had ice on my boat (from the ice storm) as far south as Orlando.

Tradewinds appears to be in the middle of January too. (could be wrong on that, not too much info on the net about the more popular cat races icon_razz )

34* is just a littttle on the crazy side. icon_confused
  • January 13-15. The calender here usually has the regatta's scheduled.
    http://www.catsailor.com/Tradewinds.html

--
    Philip
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.