Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Who was looking for dagger boards for a Nacra 5.2?  Bottom

• I remember a thread a few months ago where someone needed dagger boards for an N5.2. We wrecked a 5.2, as in tore the right hull off just at the front crossbar.
    I'll post an album in Tech Stuff showing the inside of older Nacra hulls. It may prove useful for anyone needing to replace gudgeon s, tramp rails etc.
    The two daggers are in excellent condition, I'll post some photos in the Classifieds in the next day or so, & donate $5 from each sale to Damon.
    The boat was a beater, an older one with beam down the tramp. The tramp is "well used" but could probably be sent for the cost of shipping to some poor kid just trying to get on the water. There is a set of sails with battens in good shape, though I don't have any photos. The rudders are from a Hobie, the castings fit right into the Nacra, I'll put up a couple photos of the entire rudder rig if anybody needs them for a Hobie.
    Send me a PM if you are desperate, I might not get the daggers in the classies for a few days. I have them in Canada, not sure what shipping will cost. If you are not in a hurry ,(a few months) I could bring them across the border by Jan & send them

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Wow, that old 5.2 has turned into an International Cat!
    The daggerboards went to Canada,(Wolfman), the sail is going to Japan, (Erice), rudders to California, a couple of odds & ends to the Caribbean.
    What gives, does every man & his dog have a broken 5.2?
    I didn't even get any of the photos posted on ads. I'll donate some of the proceeds to Damons slush fund anyway. Thanks guys.
    Eric, if I can fit the old tramp into that size of package, I'll send it along with the sails. I won't make it on the Tokyo trip of the 5th, probably the middle or end of the month. I'll see if they will mail it, I can con one of the language girls to help me, there is a post office in the Narita airport, that is probably cheaper than getting a courier from the Narita Hilton.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Hey Ed.. It was 80 degrees in Ca today.. Bring more than the rudders to CA and go home with more than cash. A case of CA wine on me and a tan!! .. Tell your friend you went to mexico.. I need the scraps of her cuz there are no 5.2 (ish) girls her in Ca.. Got 2 hulls with fresh gelcote.. Lots of other new stuff including a trailer with BRAND NEW axels.. Hubs.. Tires (wide 14 in. rims). Oh yah. Got a N5.2.. N 5.8.. H 20.. 2- H 16s and a recent find .. H 17 in the yard to play with. And the S.F. bay to use.. (bring your Dry Suit.)

You know who. Cheers hal

PS.. bring a A Cat to leave here

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • no rush on the sails Ed, when people and things travel standby for free, everyone knows there is no guaranteed delivery date

and i'm sure i could do something with that old tramp even with rotten stitching, if it fits in the pack

after all my current tramp is the original and took me near a whole winter to hand stitch back together

this might look good on some gold white sails...
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=82928&g2_serialNumber=3
  • I gotta ask- how did the 5.2 get "wrecked"? As a 5.2 owner, I always want to learn something from someone else's misfortunes. BTW- any Atlanta sailors, what kind of shape is Lanier in? Very cold yet? How about depth?

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • QuoteBring more than the rudders to CA and go home with more than cash.

Hal, I'll phone you & get a list of things. I can probably scrape quite a few odds & ends along with the rudders. I have to take some photos of the colored sail too. If I could fit one of the good hulls in my suitcase, I'd bring that too!

Quoteno rush on the sails Ed, when people and things travel standby for free, everyone knows there is no guaranteed delivery date

I'm flying the damned bird...I hope they don't leave without me!

QuoteI gotta ask- how did the 5.2 get "wrecked"?

Sorry, no words of wisdom. It was a beater, no actually beater is way to kind of description. I liken it to the very end of Butch Cassidy & The Sundance Kid. They knew they were screwed, but rather than lie down & die quietly, they elected to go out in a blaze of glory. The old Cat was a boneyard boat. We elected to go out one last time & practice gybes in 30 kts, with two on the wire. I've never been very good at gybing in big wind, generally I go swimming.
    Andrew posted a line about "doing that hi speed surfing turn", so we tried it, numerous times. The Cat committed hari kari. So it's all Andrews fault icon_lol

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Thanks EC! The daggers will be handy to have and hopefully will get me started building my own (and other peoples)!! If I get a production run going I will pass on the wisdom and parts! Any other castings available? I could also use a spare beam, my front beam is getting a little holey after all the bits and pieces I have put on and taken off. Probably not
    impossible to ship in Canada also.

The culprit for a bow tearing off of a 5.2 is usually the stringer inside the hull at the front beam. It adds stiffness and strength to the highest stress part of the boat. They have a nasty habit of breaking away at the hull/glass connection. Easiest way to check them is to shove a flash camera into the front port and take some pictures. The stringer itself will be bumpy and ugly (maybe with mold on it) but there should be no loose fiber or obvious cracks especially around the seem. This fix isn't hard but requires you to notice the problem and take some time. I have to do this next spring for another problem (some bozo cut through my stringer on the startboard hull to access a repair).

If you do find a problem you have to reglass the seam on both sides. The rear part can be accessed through the port, but is a PITA to work through. You have to clean teh area with acetone and a light sanding, then add resin and chopped fibers. Probably better to lay some light matt too. The other side shoule be easier to work once you get the front deck off. You can get the front deck off by carefully prying with a chisel and thin pry bar. To get it back on you can probably use 3M 5200, but most use thickened epoxy. Best idea is to get a book on fiberglassing and/or watch some youtube videos before tackling it.

Dave

D.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • good to see you back dave! thought it was quiet aroud here...

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Thanks Coastrat, its been a very busy fall. I pulled my boat out 6 weeks ago and have been all over the map since. I'm also slowing down on here after answering some questions several times. Someone else has to take up the torch. ;)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Dave I don't think I have any rudder castings, they are spoken for. I'm pretty sure I have a front beam. It has the old style DS rod, the thinner one, that sits right into the V brace. I have a spare 5.2 V brace & saddle, you could just drill the hole for the DS slightly larger, & use the 9/16" DS. It also did not use the 1/2 moon chocks inside the hull. That would be simple to drill holes for your chocks. I'll send you some detailed photos of the beam next week. It is the same extrusion, & length, 95".
    IF your hull is that bad, why don't you look into another hull? I actually have two good 5.2 hulls. Lets look into trucking, & I'll send you the big parts.

Edited by Edchris177 on Nov 02, 2011 - 06:14 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • if Dave doesn't want the 1/2moon chocks i'd go for them

might be time to get rid of my tramp bar..

Edited by erice on Nov 02, 2011 - 10:05 PM.
  • I think I have a few rudder castings.

--
    Philip
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.