Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.2 Jib Block Upgrade  Bottom

• Thanks to all who explained upgrades to the 5.2.
    I need an opinion on this idea please. My 5.2 has the center post and the tramp has the tube covering it. So redoing the jib rigging means taking the boat apart to add the holes to the tramp for the riging under it. (I rather like the center bar and am keeping it for now.) I was at a regata in S.F. and saw a P-19. The rigging ran across the tramp from side to side. The adjustments were: A short track mounted on the hulls to adjust the rigging fore and aft. A block and sheet conected to each jib block tacked and cleated on the windward side on the hull. I spoke with the skipper. He reported that he did not adjust the fore and aft a lot but liked the in and outboard adjustment, especially for downwind. Got to thinking (Bad idea!) Remove a short piece of the tramp tube around the center bar in that area. run the lines under the center bar. No climing over the rigging cus it runs across instead fore and aft and is tentioned by the centerbar. AND no taking the boat apart. While I am going to do some small hull repair, I do not plan to take the boat apart. Makes the tramp a bit busy but not in areas where it matters cuz my crew is a fit pitite gal who get under the boom easy.. I am never crossing that far forward when sailing one-up. THoughts appreciated.

Local News. Went to the dark side ! Got a H 17 with a cool trailer on Craigs for $600. News at 11 on that project. More folks in CA to sail and race with.
    But Nacras forever!
    Thx Hal

--
    Hal Liske
    Livermore CA
    H 16 (6+ 1.. Friends) H 3.2 N 5.2 (2) H 17 (2) H-18
    Nacra 5.8 (son's) H 20 (Friends)
    It's a Sickness

I Need a A Cat Please
    --
  • Sounds like more trouble than it's worth imo.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • You are going to have to take the mast down sometime. Might as well save up a few chores and do them all at once. I just used spur grommets on mine to rerig the jib wires below the tramp. Took about 15 minutes and less than $20 plus a couple of beers for my buddies to help me unstep and restep the mast. Putting track into your hulls is not a bad idea, quite a few 5.2s were originally rigged that way (post 85). Kind of pricey and time consuming though. Unless you do a deck-off installation with a backing plate I would also worry about them pulling out of the hull. You definitely need to take the mast down for that!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • making sure it is still possible to post replies after tightening up security due to the latest round of Chinese visitors.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.