Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Recoating carbon mast  Bottom

• The mast on my new to me N20 is looking a little rough. I assumed on painting it using an epoxy, but is there a better idea out there?

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Just did this last year.

Here is a link to to the thread on the project.... I went with Interlux two part using a roll and tip application. But, as a test I did a carbon fiber 20" X 20" layup and painted it with the Interlux Brightsides. Did this to see how it would hold up to the sun etc... I will say if I had to do it over again I would have went with the Brightsides. When working a two part once it starts to kick off you got work fast if you’re not using a sprayer. If you using a sprayer….use lots of protection…that is get the professional stuff and make sure your neighbors are cool with it.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/12293

Shoot me a PM if you would like some pix

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • A local shop sells a spray epoxy paint. It actually has 2 parts, you have to break a seal on the bottom then shake and spray. The cans are tinted to whatever color you want. It turned out very nice on a boat transom we are working on, its not cheap though at $20 a can. Does anyone know about this stuff? Longevity?

Johnes, That looks very nice. I would like to go with a black mast. I wish there was a decent way to get the beams black but I will leave them as is.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • Yea...I wanted to go with a different color too but was told to stay with white.

--
    John Schwartz
    Ventura, CA
    --
  • Well even a nice white would look better than the chipped and rust stained white I have.

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • I painted my carbon F16 mast with the same 2 part automotive paint used on the hulls, with good results. Still glossy after two full seasons.

Dave
  • John, what were the reasons you were told to stay with white?

--
    Greenville SC

--
  • bachoWell even a nice white would look better than the chipped and rust stained white I have.

Rust stained carbon mast? Is the rust from the "stainless" fittings or something else?

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Yes

--
    Greenville SC

--

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.