Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Delamination repair with resin caulk tube?  Bottom

• Has anyone used the West Marine resin caulking tubes when doing deck delamination repair? I need to repair the full decks on my P16. icon_confused Any recommendations?

--
    Mark

Prindle 16 and Laguna 18DS
    Ripon, WI
    --
  • Yes, I repaired some delamination on my H-16 using the empty caulk tube sold by West. It worked perfectly because the delamination area was larger than a syringe could fill. It gets kind of messy when filling the tube with your mixed epoxy so make sure you put a finger over the tip when filling otherwise the epoxy begins to leak out. Once the tube is filled, capped and loaded into the caulk gun, it worked great. I drilled small holes around the delamination and then one larger central hole that the caulk tube went into. The other thing I liked about the caulk tubes that the tips are tapered so that you can really seal the caulk tube into the hull. This allows you to really pressure fill the void.
    The only issue I had was when the repair was completed on my deck, all of the textured raised area on my deck was filled in from the epoxy leaking out of the holes.
  • I think he meant to use the new six10 form west systems to actually do the job not not mixing your own and filling a caulk tube. I have wondered the same thing. It might be problem in that the tube will not have a small enough hole to fill your drilled areas and it is supposed to be thickened which means it may not flow into the places you want it to go as easily.

http://www.westsystem.com…ew-six10-epoxy-adhesive/

Edited by Quarath on Sep 28, 2011 - 04:16 PM.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • i've been thinking about the six10 for a while now...GO FOR IT!!! take pics and give us your notes, might have to drill a bigger hole but who cares. this could speed up this kind of repair big time...drill and fill with a standatrd caulk gun too.

Edited by coastrat on Sep 28, 2011 - 05:13 PM.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I agree let me know how it goes and document it for the tech gallery. I have similar repair to do and am not sure when I will get to it but I's sure like to know how it goes. I think I will use that to wet out strips and cover inside of my tubes for wings on the H17. I can easily fill groves in and around them on the inside of the hulls as well.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I don't suppose you took pictures of this process before and after?

--
    NACRA 18 SQ uared

Okanagan, BC, Can
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.