Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Where to Sail in Jacksonville Florida  Bottom

• I am planning a short trip to Jacksonville,Florida and want some input on where to launch my Hobie 21SE and what hotels are beach cat friendly.I will be sailing with my 16 year old daughter and I want her to enjoy herself with an uncomplicated trip. icon_cool
    Thanks,Bill 40421SE

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • I don't know about hotels, but I was in Jax recently with my Hobie. At Beach Boulevard (which is also 1st Avenue), there's a big lifeguard station/American Red Cross building (across from Joe's Crab Shack) with beach access. They allowed me to back my truck onto the beach to put in and take out (how cool is that?). I just found someone who worked there (they all wear uniforms) and let them know what I was doing. They were very friendly.

Next door to the Red Cross building, there's Quality Suites Hotel and it looks fairly new from the outside. Across from the Hotel, there's a huge, free public parking lot where I kept the truck and trailer while I was out sailing. I suppose you might check out that hotel, it looked like a nice place.

The Hotel is directly north of the Red Cross station. The parking lot is due west from the hotel.

Check out Google Maps, find where Beach Boulevard hits the shore, and switch to the Satellite View. This might also work:

http://maps.google.com/ma…8&gl=us&t=h&z=17&vpsrc=6

Edited by motivated on Sep 22, 2011 - 08:11 AM.

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • I think you will find all of the hotels beach cat friendly. its pretty relaxed here.
    depending on your budget, the nicest hotel on the beach is in Atlantic Beach. its called One Ocean. Lots of teenage boozing / partying going on at night in Jax Beach. Atlantic beach is 3 miles north with lots of restaurants and bars is alot more family oriented. There is a cheaper hotel next to One Ocean. The AB and Neptune beach area is a little nicer area.

Lots of partying kids on the beach at night in JB. Less likely your boat will be used as a "love shack" in AB.
  • Thanks Staugsailor,
    I will check out Atlantic Beach area.My 21SE is a little heavy for me and my daughter to comfortable roll around the beach on one catraxs so I may pick up another set and try two sets to spend out the weight better.Before any vacation,I like to spend some budgeted monies and keep my mint condition 21SE ready for the real world sailing as it was designed to handle. I purchased this boat new in 1989 and it still looks like rather new. We usually travel with a large crew but will be light on crew on this short trip.My daughter is becoming a die hard sailor icon_cool and I want her to be comfortable.We don't have much surf launching experience as we are use to fresh water sailing but willing to give it a try.I don't want to take my little 16 which would be easier and lighter to launch as we are happy with the big "limo" 21SE and want to do a coastal cruise.Is driving on the beach allowed?And will a two wheel drive Suburban get struck in the sand or is it hard sand that is drivable.Our many trips to the Gulf of Mexico have always been subdue as regards to surf and launching capability.We usually launch from a protected bay area and than venture out to the"big water". We are interested in a more challenging sail.The Jacksonville area looks like a wonderful place to sail. icon_smile
    Bill 404 21SE

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.