Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Crescent Sail Yacht Club CRAM Regatta  Bottom

• Last one of the year, Who's going?

Anyone going from West Michigan area? I have a opportunity to go work the committee and meet some people and learn some sweet stuff, looking for someone to carpool with to save me and that person some gas money, my boat is still mast-less so I'm solo, but I'll help the driver out with theirs however I can.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • I plan on going to a couple of those CRAM regattas next years but not next weekend. I'm in NWI I'll see you next year.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • It would be great if someone from CRAM could make sure that all their events get added to the calendar here, it would definitely increase entries if folks could plan ahead. As soon as the dates for 2012 are set the regattas can be added.

Add link is under calendar in the top navigation.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • This will be remedied for next year and I believe I'll probably have some responsibility for it. In the meantime I'll post the event information on the calendar.

For 2012, we're going to do our best to start the slow process of a classic cat renaissance up here. I am amazed at how many boats there are and people who (with a little nudging) would be willing to do a bit of open water sailing/racing. Who knows, it might prove enough to bring someone up from Memphis! icon_smile

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • It's what we did in the 70's in Michigan, every 2nd weekend another CRAM regatta on a beautiful lake near a state park, May til October. It was how you learned to sail. Pete (former CRAM Commodore)
  • Crescent regatta has been added to the calendar, thanks.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…viewtype/details/eid/531

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • I'm hoping to do a lot of CRAM-ing next year, (take that how you would like icon_wink )

Jeff I'm definitely interested in your "classic cat renaissance", please keep me posted with PM or emails, I think that I've recently sent you mine. That should be a good time.

I'm stoked to get more involved with CRAM next year and hope to get involved out of the state also in the long run.

Back to the original post: who's going? Who from the west side needs someone to keep them awake in the car? Haha

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    --
  • "classic cat renaissance" sounds right up my alley cat!

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Hey Cez-

Sorry for my belated reply. From being swamped at the office to wasting way too much time watching my buddies get their hind ends handed to them at F18 N Americans, I didn't get around to it.

Anyway, I'll be there and may single-hand my 18. I think one of the H16 guys from the Hobie forum is coming as an observer, so it looks like we may be the lone classic boats at this regatta. I'll try and find a guy named Bruce that sailed his H16 with us at Caseville and Muskegon.

There are a lot of classic boat guys on the West side of the state. Trick is convincing them to put their boats on the trailer and drive.

We'll start putting together more organized plans for next year. We'll have lots of "hard water" time to think about it...

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Hey Jeff,

How about talking to some of your F18 buddies about hanging out here on TheBeachcats.com, they should have some time on their hands after your water starts getting thick. We're starting to get a lot of new spin boat owners that could use some experience perspective.

I'm tired of being the only Rock Star on board. rofl

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • You bring up a very good point. After sailing with them for over a year now, I can say these are truly some really nice guys. Believe me, there have been plenty of times where I expected some harsh words - especially at race start (bull in the china shop, anyone?) Their patience has been remarkable and their inclusiveness has been very much appreciated.

However, they are very, very quiet on the online communication side. I don't think its a CRAM thing, it seems to pervade the more competitive side in general. None of the forums related to F18, F17 or A-Cats seem to show much activity. Perhaps they're more self-sufficient and don't have a need??

The good news is they all cut their teeth on the boats we sail - H16s, 18s, Prindles, old Nacras, etc. so they probably have forgotten more than I'll ever know. I'll take your suggestion to heart and see if we can't get some of these guys to share their wealth of knowledge.

PS - when the water gets hard, we just break out the iceboats. Now that's some speed!! icon_razz

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Just found out the 1st race on Saturday will be at noon rather than 10:30 as posted in the NOR. I'll try to be there around 9 or 9:30ish for boat setup and a nice warm breakfast. Weather forecast is looking good but rather chilly.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Thanks for the info Jeff, my plans are still a little up in the air but I'm trying to make it happen. It should be a good time,
    I can see both sides of why some of those guys would and wouldn't be on here, but this is a sweet site very helpful. Either way I'm looking forward to getting on the water with them sometime.

Thanks for the rockstar status update Damon, icon_rolleyes Haha, I'm kidding I'm sure you are a rockstar, you are a rockstar when it comes to this site for sure.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    --
  • cezo823I'm sure you are a rockstar

Yep, I'm a legend in my own mind. icon_cool

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

--
  • DamonLinkous
    Yep, I'm a legend in my own mind. icon_cool

Aren't we all bro.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    --
  • Hey Cez-

Wanted to let you know the forecast for Saturday has gotten a bit more "intense". Forecast now is for 15-20knots+ higher gusts. That alone wouldn't be an issue, but couple that with 60° water and 48° air temp, and its going to be on the brutal side icon_eek . I'm going to head down there Sat AM, but we may not go sailing. If we do, prepare for the worst. Most will have dry suits. I don't, but am going to get creative in finding ways to stay warm.

Sunday is looking much better, and no matter what, we'll be out there then. This is probably my last ride of the season, and I won't miss it for anything!!

PS - somehow lost your email address. You can pm me with the info.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Wow, that is probably a little sketchy for me, I may come out and spectate or hang and meet and greet if it ends up being like that. A month ago I would have been all about it but I don't have a dry suit....yet. Probably not by this weekend.

Thanks for looking out with the weather update.

I'll pm you my info so we can stay in touch.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    --
  • Cez-

If your up for it, I can probably get you a ride on the committee or mark boats. The guy who is running the race is a bit of a legend in Hobie circles. You could probably learn more in an hour watching the race with him than a whole season on the water. Their may be another new H16 guy helping as well. Didn't get your PM, otherwise I wouldn't post this here... icon_rolleyes

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Due to further degradation of forecast conditions (25-30knots both Saturday and Sunday), the regatta has been postponed to a 1-day event on Saturday October 8th.

Time to break out the surfboards - heard they have 21ft waves icon_eek on the south end of Lk. Michigan.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • Bummer, it will still be a good time though. I'll probably come out and meet some of these guys.

I like the surf comment, I spent a lot of summers surfing in Puerto Rico as a kid haven't tried it on lake Michigan, only body boarding, as I mentioned before I don't have a dry suit yet so when the surf pics up around here, I start waxing snowboards, I may try it someday though now that I live a lot close to lake michigan.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.