Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Cats good for 1Up and 2Up?  Bottom

• I'm 150 lbs and my wife is 115 lbs, and I am looking for a cat that would work well for the two of us in "fun" races at our local club, as well as for me alone for more serious racing.

The various forumla-16 boats are the only ones I have found so far, are there any others?

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --
  • You sound like perfect candidates for the F16 class, but another (cheaper) alternative would be the Hobie 17, which can be rigged with a jib for two up or sailed solo by either of you.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Eat more and get an used F-18/Inter-18. icon_smile

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • Hobie 16 would be a good choice also!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • The minimum race weight for Prindle 16 is 260 #'s. Pete
  • I vote Nacra 5.2! That's what I use and like. Not too expensive, lots of volume, not pitch-prone. A lot to like!
  • H16 is the answer. But I would go for the A-cat (can they hold two?) I just like my H 17 sailing solo and low overhead (sails).

--
    H18, H17, P19, Glastron GT-150 (Bond jump boat)
    --
  • A-Cat is no good, my wife doesn't want to be a passenger, she wants a jib sheet in her hand.

It looks like a Hobie 17 might work -- I see that some have jibs -- although I really wanted the spinnaker.

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --
  • Ah, I see. H 17 things to note:
    1. Not very buoyant. 2 people slow it down (thats why I said H16)
    2. Parts are hard to find i.e you may need to buy another boat if something breaks.

Otherwise I LOVE MY 17!

--
    H18, H17, P19, Glastron GT-150 (Bond jump boat)
    --
  • We sail a Hobie 16 at our sailing center now (as well as a Hobie Getaway.) My wife/crew doesn't like the battened jib much (tacking is a pain in light air.) How does a H16 handle on main alone, or main and spinnaker for when I'm single-handing? Does anybody actually race single-handed on a H16?

It looks like the Nacra F17 might also be a good choice, although finding a used one in Florida seems near impossible, harder than finding a used F16.

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --
  • QuoteHow does a H16 handle on main alone, or main and spinnaker for when I'm single-handing?

Like a stubborn mule when trying to tack. You will learn all about getting out of irons and blowing tacks.

Finding a single handed race boat that works well for the wife also doesn't give you many options. I presume you want class legal single hand since you said you would sail solo for more serious racing. What racing groups are in your area?

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • daniel_t,
    Look for a used Prindle 16 or a Nacra 5.2- they are both good boats that will reward the light crew (you two) and are a lot easier to sail than a Hobie 16- even a new one. As Pete mentioned above, the minimum crew weight for a P 16 is five pounds less than you and your wife weigh. The jib is not full battened, most 16's already have a Barber Hauler and the bouyancy built into the hulls means you can put a couple of friends on board for a sunset cocktail cruise if you like. The big hulls also make it easy to right. I have done it single handed at 170 pounds (leverage is key). Just saying...

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • A 5.5 is a good option, too, although you'll be depowering while solo if its blowing.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • The P16 is your best option here. When sailing alone you can always remove the jib. It is almost a P15 like that.

--
    Stefan, Denmark.
    H14,H16,P16,P18,SC17,N5.8
    Team StaySail
    http://www.staysail.eu
    --
  • I used to own a Nacra 5.2 and sailed it mostly single handed. The jib is no problem solo and I recommend having it rigged up because it makes tacking much easier. As long as it is not blowing hard you can just let it back a little to pull the bows through the eye of the wind. I have also sailed a Hobie 16 solo and found it to be quite a bit of fun and lively, but it comes no where close to the Nacra 5.2. I sold my 5.2 because it was so hard to rig solo. I had the older non-captive mast and it took 2 men and a pack of dogs to step and unstep the mast. Also, I was very fearful of getting knocked over so I had to stay close to shore when out by myself. I only weigh 160 pounds (165 if my life jacket is wet) and there is no way I could right the 5.2. The 5.2 handled extra crew easily and still sailed decently. If you put the third person on an H16 it turns into a dog. When I sold my 5.2 I was thinking of moving into a smaller cat that would be easier to rig and solo-right, but now I am questioning my decision since I can't seem to find anything that fits the characteristics I want. I would love to find a Nacra 4.5 or similar but they are few and far between in the southeast. I don't think a hobie getaway or wave would satisfy my need for speed, but then again I have to admit that I have never sailed on one. All I know is that I will make darn sure that I am able to solo-right my next boat, even if it means getting a righting bag.

--
    Rob V.
    Panama City, FL
    --
  • If you can find an older F16 that you can afford, it'd be a wonderful choice. The light weight makes solo righting reasonable, even for a lighter guy(I'm 160). I have a righting pole on the Stealth, and it pops up pretty easily. And the spinnaker is a big joy, crewed and in lighter winds, solo. The overall balance of a boat designed for a spinnaker will always be somewhat superior to one to which a spin has been added.

If finances dictate an older design, invest in the necessary equipment to be able to quickly right the boat by yourself(some combination of Hawiiaan righting line, righting pole, water bag). A sealed mast is a must as well.

Dave
  • All,

I found a Taipan F16 in my price range and now I'm a proud owner. Our maiden voyage should be Saturday Jan 21.

--
    Daniel T.
    Taipan F16 - USA 213
    Clearwater, FL
    --
  • Nacra f 17 if you can find one .. I fun sail with two medium size people with no problems . Has a lot flotation in bows way more than a Hobie 17 . I race in DPN racing and have one skipper of year with boat . It keeps up with allot faster boats if you can keep it in the sweet spot all the time. Uni rig takes allot more attention then a jibed boat . You can loose the flow over the main much quicker with out jib. Down wind with the new cut spinnaker I am right along side f-18 and I 20 they get a little pod loads of fun . I have owned over 11 cats from 14 16 17 21 18 and a nicely race rigged Stiletto23 with carbon sails and a spinnaker . The Nacra F-17 is the most fun sailing boat that I have had the privilege of owning. Great all around boat ...
  • most of the 16' or 17' cats ideal

i'm another happy 5.2 owner

but get the best condition boat you can afford that is local
  • I know of a cherry Nacra F17 that is unofficially for sale in the Columbus OH area. He's not going to give it away, but its in near perfect condition. I sailed it last summer. What a boat. PM me if you'd like further info.

I'd think an H18 might also be on your list. Lots of those around, getting parts is easy, and not too expensive. I enjoy soloing mine quite a bit as long as the wind isn't too high. I'll admit that single-handed righting and beach maneuvering is a challenge, but under the right circumstances, can be managed.

[Edit]
    Oops - just read the OP's most recent post. Enjoy your Taipan. I've heard good things about them.

Edited by rehmbo on Jan 21, 2012 - 06:33 AM.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.