Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Good deal on H16 comp tip?  Bottom

• Is this any good? What do comp tips usually go for on the used market?

http://grandrapids.craigslist.org/boa/2516390930.html

I need one but can't quite afford this one yet (two kids in diapers) just looking for thoughts, thanks

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    Vectorworks XJ - A class (not named yet)
    West Michigan (Grand Rapids/Holland Area)
    --
  • too pricy....... zunge

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Thanks for the feedback turbo, so what would you say is a good price for a comptip? $500? less?

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    --
  • I paid way way way less than that for my last comp tip - talk to Jeremy at Surf City catamarans, he often has stuff like that and is very fair to deal with

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • Thanks drummer, where is surf city catamarans, the website that I ended up on was surf city racing in San Fransisco, is that it?
    I think that I'll hold off on this particular deal (maybe not though), there are quite a few older less cared for H16's around here for under 500 that I can get the non comp tip mast from and part out or something, that will get me back out on the water until I find a cheaper comp tip. $300 is what I would like to spend on a comp tip but I didn't know if that was reasonable, from the feedback that I've seen it looks possible.

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    --
  • If you aren't fleet racing then you don't need a tip. Damn sure don't saw off a perfectly good mast to put on a tip, which is bendy (sails aren't cut for it). And not bendy along its length but only really bendy at the joint. I always kicked myself for putting one on my mast (you can find masts with tips and have two masts).
  • I'll second tami's wise words.... why have a 2 piece mast when...

- i think the 1 piece is lighter
    - 1 piece is stronger
    - 1 piece won't snap
    - 1 piece is easier to seal IF it were to leak
    - less $$
    - less flex

Check all the other classes, no one has a plastic flex tip up there... (for a reason).
    Comptip was to protect against lawsuits 'cause folks put their metal stick up into power lines.
    Now it's a class requirement, but primarily only in north america (like the Hobie 18 in south america and asia, etc is class legal w/a solid stick... ) So unless you plan to sail in a hobie sponsored (hobie 16 class) event, you don't need. And if you do, the rules say you can ask for a 1 time exemption so long as you're trying to rectify your non-compliance.....

Cheers.... wish I had a solid stick on the H18. -Rob.

Edited by robpatt on Sep 08, 2011 - 07:09 AM.
  • Agree on the comp tip being too bendy, but if you do end up with a comp tip there is way of significantly reducing the bend by adding an on the fly adjustable jib halyard system, I had this and loved it on my 16. You can also find comp tips for far less than you are thinking.

Jeremy's email is: Surf City Catamarans and you can also try Dan Berger at Dan Berger

Personally I prefer the comp tip mast sheave and halyard (less wire and it seems easier to set in the mast hook) but it is all personal preference, and of course you have to have it for class racing

--
    85 Prindle 16
    "If you aint the lead dog the view never changes"
    North Carolina
    --
  • That kind of input is what I was looking for, thanks guys.

I didn't have the intention of cutting down a good mast to make a comp tip though it did cross my mind. A tree feel on the mast that I have, I wish it was towards the top so I could cut it down and throw the comp tip on but it is in the middle.

I’m leaning heavily towards buying a non comp tip and worrying about the comp tip when I end up in a race that requires me to have it. I do plan on getting into some racing but like I said, I'll buy when I see that it is required.

That info regarding some of the quality issues with the comp tip is very helpful. Makes it sound like you almost want to have both and only use the comp tip when you have to.

Thanks guys

--
    Cesar (Cez) S.
    Hobie 16 (had a few)
    Nacra 5.2 "Hull Yeah"
    --
  • Awesome Friends, Really So Sweet of u Guys, Thank You For Providing Such a Nice Information,I do plan on getting into some racing but like I said, I'll buy when I see that it is required.and also i appreciate your work, thank you for the post.

Deals : icon_biggrin

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.