Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Papawheelie's rudder fix  Bottom

• My neighbor papawheelie and I fixed my broken rudder this weekend. They are the fiberglass type with a foam core.

I had lost about 10 inches in total off the starbard rudder in a botched launch out of Seabrook beach NH.

Well we trimmed back the loose stuff allowing me good access to the core. I removed at least 3/4 to inch of the core. Inserted a nicely donated fiberglass blank wheelie had kickin' round. Set up the joints with a bunch of resin / poly mix.

Set up time was shortened with a flamethrower out of Wheels arsonal. Traced up the right shape off of the port rudder. Using air tools made all this so much easier on the old Bone. Allota shaping here.

Glassed it up first with some of Wheel's 3/4, which was a sheet of loose cross laying fiber. Followed it up with a tight sheet of that fiber woven stuff. More 3/4. And a really fine sheet of a "finish" glass papa suggested. One side... trim... next side.

Using a hella sweet grinder I worked on it, for some time. This was going to be the final shape ya know. Hit it with a hot silky smooth resin layer. gave it my final sand and gel coated it up with a new black from the waterline now. Gave the twin the black too.

I could not be any happier. It is the same shape, size and close in weight.

In the mean time I have ordered and am waiting for the rudder overhaul parts... plunger spring screw etc. I watched a pretty usefull video on utube about it. Gae me the tap size at the least. I see a stuck screw in my future.

--
    The Bone
    H16
    Mass / NH
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.