Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Dropping Mast on older NACRA 5.2  Bottom

• What's the best way to drop the mast on my 5.2 Solo? I just want to do without breaking anything. Do I have to twist mast 90 degrees beforehand? I also don't have a pin, so I'm thinking I'll just tie it down close the ball. TIA, Greg

Edited by gregjenx on Aug 25, 2011 - 01:57 PM.
  • The words "drop the mast" is what you don't want to do.You want to lower it,carefully icon_lol

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Tie a long rope to the jib halyard
    Tie one end to the jib halyard,
    feed it through a block you attach to the bridle.
    the other you hang on to...
    Place a ladder behind the boat so as to rest the mast when it is almost down. (prevents damage from not rotating all the way) or use a convenient tree or fence etc. (Not power lines!)

First see to it that potential damage is contained by checking for and removing anything that may be harmed in the event of failure. Unfortunately that excludes yourself...

Point boat tail to windward and level or slightly nose - down for help holding the mast up.
    Check that your rope is attached in such a way that your common-sense tells you it should work!
    While hanging on to your rope end tightly, disconnect the forestay. Move slowly and deliberately and step onto the tramp just behind the main beam, standing slightly beside the mast. Let the rope out slowly, hand over hand until you can grab the mast and walk it down the rest of the way. Let it rest on the stepladder or whatever you put there.
    Disconnect the rest at leisure.

This is my preferred setup, YMMV, Itake no responsiobility if you follow this to the letter and mess up (your hair, your face, your boat... you get the picture!)
  • With a hurricane quickly approaching your advice is very helpful. Thanks!
  • go ahead and get it off the beach if you can...if you get any storm surge to speak of it will be trashed. my old hobie 16 was 1.5 miles off the beach in a garage in bay st. louis when katrina hit...found it on top of a 30' debris pile on the rr tracks. i sail a p-16 now.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.