Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

wire rope and hand swagging ?'s  Bottom

• bought a hand swager and some ferrels/thimbles for making new standing rigging for the ole blue ribbon(shrouds,forestay,and bridals). noticed the forestay/bridals are 1 x 19 rope and the shrouds are pvc coated 7x7(?)... i have an old set of shrouds that are pvc coated 1 x 19 with HUGE ferrels(2" alum. looks like). is the 7 x 7 recommended for the shrouds? because of flexability? noticed 1 x 19 has 300lbs more breaking strenght. would it hurt to use 2 ferrels per thimble for extra security since they are not hydraulicaly swaged? shopped it pretty good and once again sail care has good prices on wire rope(316 ss-.74cper'), found zink plated brass ferrels at west marine($2.50 per 4) and plan on recycleing good thimbles from old sets. anywho...any advise/experience welcomed, cheers!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Double swaging is common for standing rigging. Most places will automatically double swage thier rigging. Go for it.

All standing rigging should be 1x19. 7x7 is only recommended for trapeze wires, it is too flexible and prone to fray for standing rigging. Make sure you use the correect size swaging hole for the wire you use. i.e don't use a 1/8" crimper on 5/32" wire.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Maybe this is a question, but there is some information in here too. I have never figured out why 7x7 is used for trap wires. I can see that flexibility is required for halyards but trap wires just ... stay. So that being said I have used 1x19 on trap wires with no problem. On most of them I didn't use thimbles at the handle end either. Just snugged the loop up against the metal loop and swaged. If I cared this probably reduces strength and could lead to increased chafe, but since the wire will easily lift the boat and crew I don't see ultimate strength as an issue.
  • Maybe this is a question, but there is some information in here too. I have never figured out why 7x7 is used for trap wires. I can see that flexibility is required for halyards but trap wires just ... stay. So that being said I have used 1x19 on trap wires with no problem. On most of them I didn't use thimbles at the handle end either. Just snugged the loop up against the metal loop and swaged. If I cared this probably reduces strength and could lead to increased chafe, but since the wire will easily lift the boat and crew I don't see ultimate strength as an issue.
  • why use heavier wire than you need? Weight aloft is your biggest enemy
  • I found swaging a learned art to say least using a bench swager as West Marine. I made a new shorter upper forestay for my P18 and after bleeding all over the workbench and 3 trys to get it right I think I totally would have paid to have one made. 5/32 is a pain in the ass to bend around a thimble.

I have a hard time trusting the bench swags so I don't know if I could trust a hand swag. it may be all in my head but still. If you have it double it. Also if your going to do a bunch order the ferruls online somewhere West marine only carries a few in stock at a time and if you screw something up you have to wait for more to come in.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • QuoteWest Marine only carries a few in stock at a time and if you screw something up you have to wait for more to come in.

That doesn't sound right. Both the West Marine stores around my place have bins of the ferrules, sitting right above the bench swager. You just pick 'em out as needed, then they charge you for how many you used.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • I'm just Lucky I guess mine only has 1 or2 packages hanging on a wall with 2 each in each package. Same with many of the shackles and cleats. Half the time if you want 2 they only nave 1 in stock.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • i bought all the stock of 1/8" ferruls(20 pieces) at 2.50$ per 4 pack(not bad). still looking for pvc coated 1/8" 316 1x19 rope for shrouds. found a company with 1/8" 316 1x19 rope by the foot for .42c per. is the pvc coating that much more helpful for preserving the mainsail from chafe/discoluration?

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • I had new shrouds made for my P16 and the local rigger said they are moving away from plastic coated wire (Galveston Bay area) as it traps water and you can't see damage. Maybe for fresh water it is OK, but salt or brackish I can see being bad.

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • Did you purchase a go-no-go gauge as well? Its not a bad idea for learning to swage yourself.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • QuoteDid you purchase a go-no-go gauge as well? Its not a bad idea for learning to swage yourself.

no...but i know what your talking about...saw it on some youtube clips i watched...probably get one from the company i'm ordering the rope from. i'm getting a 200' spool for 72$...and will be doing my boat and capt. backasswards(hear that hank!)...it saves mucho and i enjoy new toys(tools). gearing up for the windy season here..it's dull right now(3-8mph winds every day). thanks for reminding me!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • gave it a go on bridal wires this evening...definitely a two person job. PVC COATED WIRE DEFINETLY CORRODES REAL BAD!!! will not use any on standing rigging. salvaged thimbles from old rigging and cut off pvc coating and couldn't believe how bad stainless steele rope can corrode. double swaged all thimbles, bolt cutter style swager worked good=trick is pulling slack tight f.or first crimp, that's where the second set of hands helps. not afraid to tackle the rest of the boat now. full set(stays,forestay,bridals,pigtail,jib blocks) comes in under 45$ for all materials.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • I really like this idea. A cool winter project.

--
    The Bone
    H16
    Mass / NH
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.