Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

1985 Hobie 18 Hull Removal  Bottom

• Would someone mind giving me a brief explanation about how the hulls are removed from the frame members on a 1985 Hobie 18? Are there any issues with removing hulls?

I'm planning on injecting the deck in the upcoming months; however the boat just won't fit in my garage assembled.
    The job will be a lot easier if could make the boat narrower, i.e. hull removal. Also this way I could store the boat indoors for the winter.

Any tips are much appreciated.
  • Its not too hard. You have to unlace the tramp and remove the front panels. Remove bridle wires, remove rudders.Then there is a bolt going through the deck lips into the beams. Remove one on each side of hull. Lift the beams off and your done.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • Once you take the boat apart it might help to look at the Assembly manual to put it back together. icon_biggrin
    http://2010.archive.hobie…t/pdfs/H18&SX_Manual.pdf

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Not as easy as you say. I've had to take a cut-off grinder to a lip bolt frozen with corrision & not easy to do because of access problem. Try loosening them all first before committing to the task. Pete
  • rcp-1985h18sxWould someone mind giving me a brief explanation about how the hulls are removed from the frame members on a 1985 Hobie 18? Are there any issues with removing hulls?

I'm planning on injecting the deck in the upcoming months; however the boat just won't fit in my garage assembled.

Since you have a 1985 there is another issue you should address besides the delamination. The 1984-86 H18's were built particularly lightly and a good number of them have had a hull break off just in front of the front beam.

There are large stainless anchor plates that can be added at the beam connection and extra fiberglass cloth can be added inside the hulls at the stress points. Since you are going to disassemble and do fiberglass work anyway it would be good to do the reinforcement as well.

Don't have time to hunt down the pictures right now maybe someone else can.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Thread about the issue
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…opic/topic/12598/start/0

Pics in tech section
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=11593

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • I want to see some good pictures of the patch to be place in redline hulls.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.