Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H16 Hull damage and repair  Bottom

• I just got a 1989 H16 that has extensive damage to the deck of the starboard hull forward of the front tramp casting. The crack goes from rail to rail and about 12" long. I can see into the hull. I can send a picture, I just havnt been able to figure out how to post one here. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Since the deck is pressed in im not sure if the area should be cut away or to pull the deck up and fiberglass over it, just not sure how to go about it. I have some fiberglass experience I just need direction.
    Thanks in advance.
    Todd
  • tdsurfI just got a 1989 H16 that has extensive damage to the deck of the starboard hull forward of the front tramp casting. The crack goes from rail to rail and about 12" long. I can see into the hull.

First, welcome to TheBeachcats.com, glad you found our community.

That sounds like pretty serious damage, do you know how it happened? Is the damage strictly limited to the deck? Does the crack include the deck lips?

That is one of the worst places you could have damage, just in front of the pylon is a very stressed part of the hull.
    tdsurfI can send a picture, I just havnt been able to figure out how to post one here. Any help with this would be greatly appreciated. Since the deck is pressed in im not sure if the area should be cut away or to pull the deck up and fiberglass over it, just not sure how to go about it. I have some fiberglass experience I just need direction.
    Thanks in advance.
    Todd

There are complete instructions about creating your photo album and posting pictures to the forum in the FAQ here.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…s/pictures-in-forum-faq/

It sounds like fixing this right is a job for a highly skilled and experienced fiberglass professional with catamaran experience. The foam sandwich construction of the deck is not something your average power boat or automotive fiberglass worker understands.

There are not a ton of those guys out there, but they exist and are worth tracking down. How is the rest of the boat? A 1989 is a reasonably late model H16 so is probably worth repairing.

Tell us more about yourself and the boat, please make things easier on us by filling out your signature with

name
    boat type
    Instructions Here
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…Forums/Forum-Signatures/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.