Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What are these lines on my H18 jib for?  Bottom

• Bought a new jib from a local guy but don't know what these lines next to the clew plate are for.
    It was made by FX sails. I assume that the multiple holes in the clew plate are for fine tuning of the sail shape. The picture kinda got cut off. You can see the attached lines much better in the technical photo album.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=81422&g2_serialNumber=2

Edited by pknapp66 on Aug 06, 2011 - 01:39 PM.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • On our mono hull sails we have lines like those too. They are to adjust the tension along the foot, and leech of the sail. You pull them or release to change the length of the respective side.
  • My spin has them. Ive not yet experimented with them.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • What are they tied to or pulled against to tension the sail?

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • That doesnt look like a stock H18 jib. that clew plate is not needed (with all those adjuster holes) since you have a 4 way adjuster on H18's... but you are correct they are used to change the shape of the sail (much more useful on a H16 that can only move the jib blocks in and outboard on the front beam)

those lines are leech lines and foot lines (they look like huge lines for that purpose) .. add more or less cup / curve to your sail. many jibs come with leech lines. Useful when the sail is blown out and flaps while sailing. foot lines are less common.

QuoteWhat are they tied to or pulled against to tension the sail?

attached to the head of the sail (for the leech line) and typically have a little plastic cleat near the clew plate to fasten it.
  • These are 1/8th lines attached to a plastic piece sewn into the sail about 6 inches above the clew plate. The picture in the tech photo section shows the attachment point really well. Just not sure how these short
    lines could do much or exactly what they attach to. I will call FX during the week. The little tag that came with the sail says H18 x-cut cruising.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • hey Pete way to go did you get a main allso? cant wait to sail next weekend, full moon and all. did you get a site at Northhampton?
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • Ted,
    Actually bought a whole boat. Got the original main which is better than ours. I am going to have to pick
    your brain about refinishing the epo rudders. They are in good shape as far as chips, but the fiberglass
    is starting to get exposed on one side of each rudder. I want them to shine like yours. Have not gotten a site yet. Waiting to see what the weather does. Maybe I can share with Gary Sat night.

Pete

Edited by pknapp66 on Aug 07, 2011 - 06:57 PM.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.