Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie 17 sail delamination  Bottom

• ~~ The subject line says it all !!!! Trying to figure out how to write this??? I have a couple of rips in the "Mylar" ? I think thats whats it's called--- I call it a 'potato chip bag'. I used clear duct tape on the rips cause I'am to cheap to buy another sail... as far as I can see it still has lotta of life left in it.. What I can't figure out, WHAT IS THE PURPOSE OF IT ? and why is it only on one side of it ???? If it gets to bad later on should / can I take it off ?? Would the sail still be usable ?? icon_confused

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Unfortunately I think Hobie 17 sail delam is permanent and fatal. You can use sail tape when it first starts like you've done but it will continue to get worse. Those sails were a mylar/dacron sandwich and once the mylar is gone the dacron will be pretty stretchy.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • They thought it was good idea in late 80's & 90's. Mylar for no stretch, thin dacron for color bonded together. Nothing like 6 oz dacron. Look for deals in late Fall from Chip Buck--start saving the money. New sails & tramp brings boat value way up. Pete
  • i will be on the market for a new sail in the offseason as well. I'm glutton for punishment though, i'm going for another colored mylar mischuge

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.