Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

5.7 versus 5.8  Bottom

• Just so happens there is a 5.7 nearby for sale,my original idea was to upgrade to a 5.8 . was wondering advantages disadvantages?

,,, ...
    still one board 5.2
  • I cannot speak for the 5.8, I only own a 5.7
    It has no boards, a completely free & uncluttered tramp, hulls clear to sit on. Easy to put 4 adults on & cruise.
    I don't find tacking without boards a problem.
    As long as you sink the leeward hull, pointing is fine.
    If you want to race, you may not find many other 5.7s
    On a staight reach my 5.7 easily outpaces a Hobie 16, however, if you are racing around the markers, & the Hobie sailor knows what he is doing, you will have great fun trying to keep up, if like me, you are an intermediate sailor.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • here are the DPN numbers that open classes usually race by.. should give you a little insight

Nacra 5.2 Slp 2-up N5.2 72.1
    Nacra 5.7 2-up N5.7 72.6
    Nacra 5.8 No.Amer. 2-up N5.8NA 66.5
    Nacra 5.8 Orig. 2-up N5.8 66.6
    Hobie 16 H16 76.0

and judging from performance alone, it looks like a negligible downgrade to go to a 5.7(unless you just want a nicer boat)

Edited by matt922 on Jul 27, 2011 - 09:30 PM.
  • So you feel the 5.7 is a nicer rig?Something about flying a hull with board , nice visual ya know.Are parts more available than lets say a 5.2 ?I.E-daggers still on the hunt for a board.A little off topic Matt but i did drive down to s.d to buy that 5.2 you posted on craigslistfinds.Good hulls,main sail ,but everything else just wasnt right . Started thinking i did'nt want a backyard full of 5.2 when the goal is to upgrade.

walls
    fillmore,ca
    lake piru,hull flyers(flyer)
  • A free & uncluttered tramp is worth a lot. Lowering & raising boards is a pain. Pete
  • if; the 5.7 is in better condition than your 5.2. or if you go in and out of the surf or if you often sail with 3 on the boat - go for it

but if the 5.7 needs work or you don't have problems with depth or if you rarely say with more than 2 - i'd say wait for a good 5.8 for when you have crew and keep the 5.2 for solo
  • Everybody has their own little niche, if showing off a board while flying a hull is important,(I agree it does look cool, especially if you gelcoat the boards a high contrast color) & all else is equal, go for a board boat. If you plan to race, you need what is being raced, unless they are open class. All the latest racers use boards, so there must be an advantage.
    It is easy to get hung up on DPN ratings, but understand what they mean. They attempt to level the playing field during a race around the marks. The race course will have an upwind leg, reach, & a downwind leg, in order to test the skill of the sailors in all facets of boat handling & sail trim.
    From watching recreational sailors, I would say that very few operate their boats in a manner to simulate "around the marks". Most go out & try to make the boat go as fast as it can, ie reaching back & forth flying a hull on roughly the same line. Very few will deliberately sail 5 miles downwind, then beat their way back. (Of course you may have no choice if you have a destination, such as Slip to Ship etc).
    Many of the boats will be at nearly the same top speed on a reach, but if one boat has a chute, he's going to reel the others in on the downwind leg. That boat will have a lower DPN, leading some to think that is is "way faster". He certainly is, on the downwind leg, with chute deployed, but may be exactly the same speed on the reach or beating. When you look at Portsmouth tables, dig a bit deeper to see how the fast boats are rigged, maybe you don't want to deal with a spinnaker.
    The skill of the skipper is also most important. I was reading a thread where MAtt Miller (Hobie Guru) beat 5 out of 6 Hobie 16s, he was using a 13' Hobie Wave that he put a chute on. The 16 is a "way faster" boat, but the skilled sailor made up for it.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 28, 2011 - 07:37 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Whichever is in better condition is the right boat. Otherwise.... 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7, 5.7. :) I just don't like having to deal with daggerboards. Otherwise they are fairly similar boats.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • After driving to sd to buy second 5.2,i've found out pictures don't always tell the whole story.The 5.7 is 500 miles closer ,but i've never been scared of a road trip.Still feeling the 5.8 ,i think golfdad mentioned patience . Enjoy my 5.2 for now, still rippin 5 days a week.

,,, ...
    fillmore
  • Hey guys, we all like going fast on reaches, but i think we are missing a few things. Regardless of whether you are racing or merely reaching up and down the beach, The 5.8 is going to be the better boat, no question. Daggerboards are much more efficient that skegs. The translation of the wind's pressure on the sails into forward speed is done much more efficiently. Walls, you are going to experience much better acceleration, pointing, and top speed. Edchris mentioned the 5.7 being able to point as long as the lee hull is buried, well in winds less than 10kts, a typical summer days on NA lakes, your pointing and the ability of the boat to translate available wind pressure into speed is greatly reduced on the 5.7.

Simply put, the 5.8 is going to blow the doors off the 5.7 is any wind condition.

As a previous owner of a 5.8na, go with the the 5.8 everyday, all day!

--
    Jay Brown
    Nacra 16sq. spin and modified
    --
  • I'm all about the 5.8 ,the 5.7 was 500 miles closer.All in all,some one mentioned patience grasshopper . My 5.2 for now,but i'm in shock right now just spent three hours on the wire for the first time.I'm always the skipper for my friends to be out there with a skipper with vastly more experience ! I guess i passed the test , i'm crewing for him the 20th in my first race that he won last year . i diid get wraped around the dolphin striker 5 miutes out of the harbor ! anyways patience grasshopper new moto

one board willie
    walls
    ,,, ...
  • pbegleA free & uncluttered tramp is worth a lot. Lowering & raising boards is a pain. Pete

I agree....

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.