Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sailing With Your Spouse  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• HA!...My gf revealed to me her girls probably wouldn't take a spin on the nacra I just bought because they had just seen the old Jaws movie with the cat being attacked...I talked to them and told them that one was a Hobie and this is a "totally different boat" ;) ....now they are asking me when they can go!! Kids!

As far as getting your best friend to take on new jobs on the boat, it seems that might be a situation where another friend (preferrably female) could take them out for a spin.(?) Sure might make it more relaxing. Also, don't forget to tell the jib operator how they affect things for the helmsperson....like weather helm and the ability to tac...they may want to experience that so they can see how much of a difference a well trimmed jib can make for the whole team...

Good Luck,
    Bert

--
    Bert Scott
    Niceville, FL
    Nacra F18
    --
  • I've only been sailing a short while. Something I always wanted to do, so after retiring I bought an 82 H16 for a song thanks to some advice from this group. I've been out on it several times and feel confident in all but heavy winds. My wife thoroughly enjoys it, though she thought I was having an old life crisis at first. She was even bitching that the winds were too light last time we were out. She can handle the jib, and knows where to be on the boat. She also likes to sail nude if at all possible, so that's an incentive to include her as crew.

--
    Bruce Henry
    Lithonia and Lakemont, Georgia
    82 Hobie 16
    --
  • Ha!...Sounds like we might need to get together and order some bumper stickers along the lines of the old "surf naked" theme!! How does "hike buff" sound?...too much like backpacking I'm afraid...maybe a new thread to get suggestions would take off (no punn intended).

--
    Bert Scott
    Niceville, FL
    Nacra F18
    --
  • tparrishBE careful when helping someone aboard your boat with long hair.

VERY TRUE tparrish! I took two ladies sailing during a family beach trip. One of them had medium hair and as we were launching through the surf into an almost straight on breeze I had to move the jib to the other side. I needed their weight forward as we punched through the waves so she was on the front beam and leaning forward. Well, as my jib blocks moved past the mast to her side of the boat her hair got caught in the blocks!! icon_eek

So now I was battling an oncoming breeze, waves, and a yelling lady whose hair was on fire! And I could not move my jib!

We had a break in the wave sets, got the boat spun around and surfed in. Took a few minutes to get her hair out of the jib blocks but every lady from that point forward (still brave enough to sail with me) wore a hat. That's now a rule on my boat. Ladies must wear a hat.

Oh, and Tami your are right "Whatever happens on the boat is the skippers fault". I just did not see that one coming.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.