Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

solo righting  Bottom

• Have a supercat 15 that I typically solo, and for the first time (this year) have had trouble righting it solo.
    As you may know, the supercat has a shroud system that is intended to assist here, and it does, but in heavy winds this year have really worked my butt off attempting to right the boat. I am looking to make it easier as I grow older :)
    I am wondering if the solo righting pole that seemed to be around about 10 years ago has any value and if it is available anywhere.
    Any leads or advice is certainly appreciated
  • I have a SC 15 as well and the only time I have flipped it, it was very easy to right with the shroud system. I'm 160 pounds and it came right over. Heavy wind should help you right it!

I think if you try a pole, it won't help much because you already have the hull 'lowered' closer to the water. It would be submerged before it actually helped you.

I have my righting line set up in the Hawaiian style under the tramp. The only change I would make if I was having touble getting it over is to have a line over the top hull. If you are already doing that, then maybe a righting bag would help.

I just don't think the mechanics of a pole would work with the angle of the boat when releasing the shroud..
  • You are right, you have two choices, either a righting pole or the water bag. The pole works well and is very easy to deploy because it is always connected to the boat and ready to use however the disadvantage to the pole is that it is right next to the tramp. This means it drags in the water, and if you don't have a spacer on the back to keep the pole further down off the tramp, your knees hit the pole threw the tramp and hurts like hell......I usually don't tie the pole tight and just let it drag a little under the boat......but it annoys me bouncing off the waves and such but I have to have the pole because I solo a Nacra 6.0 (20 foot boat). This is the only way my 265 pound self can right it. Sometimes I have to add a 250 pound water bag that I also carry.
    The water bag is going to be your easiest way to right it in my opinion. They are cheep to buy, no installation other than making some adjustments to get the length of the line just right. You want the bag to drop into the water over your shoulder when you are squatting down on the bottom hull. once the bag is full, simply stand up while leaning back in one motion and the boat should start to move.
    On a side note, make sure the mast is pointing as close as into the wind as possible. You want the wind to get up under the main sail to help you right it. That in it self can take you awhile to get it pointed right. One trick is to stand on the front of the boat which will sink that section a little and cause the ass end to come around....and you can do the opposite if you need to go the other direction. You need the bag ready to go because the boat will not stay in that position long.
    I hope this helps.
  • Thanks to you both.
    Maybe I need to practice a bit - used to be no problem righting it (and I have had a lot of practice :) )

I would absolutely prefer to use the bag, as I do not need to be dragging anything more than I usually do, but I really strugged this past two months righting it, without bag or pole. The mast is well sealed, and I have a bob at the top.

I think I will go out and flip it in light wind and shallow water a few times and see if I can get it working better. I suspect it is operator failure and I am at 180#'s, so should have more luck with it than Dan
  • I am making a solorighting pole, using aluminum pole, some like and clips. I like this video to explain it. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCbihZsXESg

--
    Mike Jenkins
    1989 H18
    Lexington, SC
    --
  • be sure your mast is sealed. and ... your sails are stitched!

our friend with a SC didn't know his laminate sail had a missed stitch line (section they must have overlooked) and when on it's side... was filling up with some water... made solo sighting near impossible. took over a year to find the problem
  • MN3 - thanks a ton
    Had it out yesterday before the lightning rolled in and found exactly that - stitching issue and who knew that it was my new sail this year that was the issue. I was thoroughly convinced it was operator failure
    Put the old sail on and practised righting and had zero issue popping it back up.
    Thanks again for solving what could have been a year mystery for me too
    Now to get the "new" sail repaired

This is one of the things I love about this site - all the shared info that helps me be a better sailor and saves me $ and time.
    Thanks to Damon, again

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.