Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 5.7 Rigging  Bottom

• I've only had my boat out one time last summer and had all of rigging all messed up.
    I want to get it right this time .
    Would anyone have some clear photos of how the mainsheet block and traveler car rigging runs?

Much thanks
    Jon
  • There are two nacra manuals here http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=35212
    The one on the left has the 5.7

Also if you look through the photo albums you might find what you wanted to know and maybe even see some other good ideas.
  • Hey Johhny, I remember you from laat year.
    Go to "MEMBERS" under albums, & scro9ll down til you see 1984 NACRA 5.7'I have a bunch of photos that shoud help you.
    The traveler is really easy, 10' put a stopper knot in, then run though the eye strap on the beam, through the traveler, & out through the cleat.
    Be sure to tie another figure 8 knot, that limits how far the traveler can run. You want it to stop short of the end cap on the track. Image 848 &849 show this very well.
    I don't seem to have a good photo of the reeving. There are some on the Harken website.
    Log in to BeachCats, then click "contact seller" under classifieds,(I have NAcra mast balls & rudders screws for sale, page 2)That will get you my email addy.
    Send me a photo of what you have for main blocks, so I can see if it's stock, & what I have. It is to difficult to describe reeving, I will send you some photos. You want the fianl line to come through the middle sheave, it should have "edges" on the sheave. That is the ratcheting one.
    I'll take photos tomorrow as I'm at the Lakehouse, & can email them to you.

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 17, 2011 - 06:20 AM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Thank you both for your help. I think the manuals and and photos did the trick.
    I think I found the right way to reeve the blocks
    http://www.harken.com/rig…Reeving_Diagrams_8-1.php
    Mine looks just a little different.
    I'm sorry I haven't figured out how to send photos yet

Jon
  • Yours is probably a 7:1 system, probably looks like the following.
    Note the line starts at the becket on the top set of blocks, then goes around the single sheeve on the bottom set. From there on, it's much as the diagram you had. Just make sure that the last turn goes through the center bottom sheeve (sort of has an octagon shape) & then out through the cleat.
    I think if you dig around that Harken site, there is a diagram that shows proper line diameter for the sheave.
    To thick of line will not ride down in thr groove far enough, & the ratcheting mechanism won't work properly.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=81166&g2_serialNumber=4

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • JohnnyVan
    I'm sorry I haven't figured out how to send photos yet

Jon

See if this helps.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…s/pictures-in-forum-faq/

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Edchris177:
    Can you right the 5.7 solo? Nothing personal, but how much do you weigh?
    Do you need/use both the pole and a bag to right it? Which is more effective?
    Does your 5.7 mast have the DIY float in your images or is it on the 5.0? Your images are great, I haven't rigged mine and it will be interesting the first time. I may have some questions. Thanks for sharing.

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • I have not used a pole yet. We looked at NAcramans & J Castos set ups. I think the pole is quicker to use, & we are thinking of converting the mast ends off a couple of old Mistral windsurfers that don't get used anymore. For now I just use the bag. While standing on the hull, fill the bag,the more wind the less water you need in it. I have a 3:1 on the line that attaches the bag to the righting line. You need to hoist the bag about 2' clear off the water, otherwise as soon as you start hike & the mast comes up, the bag hits the water, nullifying its effect. Flip the righting line,(with bag attached) over your shoulder & hike out. IF you have crew, even a 100lb kid, you don't need the bag, when you both hike out it will come right up.
    Hiking is hard work, you cannot pike over, with your legs straight, butt in the water, upper body at 45* and expect it to come up...though it might if you are 300lbs.
    I considered putting a mast float on as I was worried about turtling with no help available, but have not actually built or attached one yet. I think you were looking at Nacramans Cats, he has McGyvered some very inexpensive mast floats & poles. J Casto also has built a pole, I think they are both in the tech help albums.
    Here are 2 threads, regarding righting the 5.7
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/13827
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ms/viewtopic/topic/13886

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • "J Casto also has built a pole, I think they are both in the tech help albums."

Look in classified section, Pete B. has one for sale. The post is little old but he still may have that one for sale. I bought one from him in October but have not tried that yet. It was modified windsurfing mast which i hope will do the job on my birthday present - 1992 Nacra 5.0.

http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/catamaran-parts/p12398-righting-pole.html

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --
  • Good to know, that gives me direction.
    Thanks guys

--
    Mooched Beachcats in the past
    Time to try ownership with Nacra 5.7
    Port Clinton, Lake Erie Islands, Ohio
    --
  • I saw Petes ad. I want to do some experimentation, & ensure the pole allows me to right it without needing any extra weight via a bag.
    I did the calculations, but the mast head moment was measured without the sails, it was tipped on the lawn. The biggest hassle of the bag is getting back aboard & stowed after righting, I want the pole to have enough leverage for my weight, so I can do it solo.
    The bags are fairly quick once you get the setup organized. I pitchpoled the 5.0 once,solo, the GPS showed from 18mph to 0 in 6 seconds. Then the boat drifted at 3mph. Once I got it on its feet the drift jumped to 6mph. Total time from flipping to upright was just under 4 minutes. I was close to a lee shore, so I was motivated to get the thing back up.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • "I want to do some experimentation, & ensure the pole allows me to right it without needing any extra weight via a bag.
    I did the calculations, but the mast head moment was measured without the sails, it was tipped on the lawn."

Are you experimenting on 5.7 or 5.0? I am interesting about your findings. I just got beautiful n5.0 in exellent shape and for cheap. Can't wait until next season, when I get it on the water. If I am not mistaken reading your earlier post, you weight around 170lbs. My weight is similar, 175lbs and it will be nice pace of mind knowing that I can right it up solo with no bag. I haven't mount my righting pole yet but I can get you some pictures if you need.

"I pitchpoled the 5.0 once,solo, the GPS showed from 18mph to 0 in 6 seconds." - slam jam icon_lol

--
    Adam Bartos
    Nacra 5.0
    SolCat 18 (sold)
    Lake Zurich, IL
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.