Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Does your crew respect your boat?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• NO ONE puts blonds(dirty), brunettes(tubesocks), and redheads(creeknannys) in more peril than CAPTAIN SIDEWAYS(formerly backassward and soon to be upside down)! he is king of freaking out the ladies!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • If you don't have liability insurance on your boat, you are really gonna be in a world of hurt. It's not that expensive and is absolutely required for racing.
  • WolfmanHeh, heh, heh. Most of us are the dumpster divers and scroungers of sailing. :)

That's Me

I'm glad this came up. So far it's mostly my family on the boat with a nephew once and a guy with a mono in our sailing group on a 20 mile once.

Next weekend I will be at a family camp out with the boat and I will need to have a discussion with everyone before to let them know that if they or their children go on the boat they are accepting the possible risks involved and that I cannot be responsible for any injuries.

So far the most annoying thing crew has done to my boat is get sand all over the tramp. I hate that as my knees are always grinding over it all day.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Tami,

Do you have a ballpark figure for the cost of liability?

Thanks in advance biggthumpup

--
    Hank, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, P16 - "Sideways"
    --
  • Insuarane on my 02 nacra f18 is $100.00 per year the same as it was on my 91 nacra 5.5sl. This is thru Alfa. Check with your auto insurance company. It's cheep.

--
    Ron
    Nacra F18
    Reservoir Sailing Assn.
    Brandon, Mississippi
    --
  • Ron is right. We're insuring our Squares for around $200/year with State Farm, that's two boats...
  • liability on my '90 5.5 is about $200/year w/ progressive, but also gives me a $85/year discount on my car ins. through them...$115 net give or take.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • give all newbees a two e-ticket ride max they just sit there have no idea whats going on .. do everything you say when you say it promptly the trick is keep them scarred out of there mind theres more then they buy a 20 pack and tell you how much they want there own cat hence the newly formed lake piru cat club were a 2 cat flotilla cocktail hour meets in the mast up yard aka the cat box and dont forget bylaw#1 20 pack or there abouts on ice!! as far as sue me goes stick to the code.. dead men tell no tales
  • walls619give all newbees a two e-ticket ride max they just sit there have no idea whats going on .. do everything you say when you say it promptly the trick is keep them scarred out of there mind theres more then they buy a 20 pack and tell you how much they want there own cat hence the newly formed lake piru cat club were a 2 cat flotilla cocktail hour meets in the mast up yard aka the cat box and dont forget bylaw#1 20 pack or there abouts on ice!! as far as sue me goes stick to the code.. dead men tell no tales

Dude, punctuation, as in the use of it. Please, the period is between the comma and the question mark on your keyboard, none of which you use. You also might try to capitalize the first letter beginning a sentence.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Thank you! I though it was just me but I have been having a heck of a time translating. Walls we are a pile of old farts on here, you have to throw us a bone once in a while. :) My phone doesn't even have a camera in it.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • QuoteRon is right. We're insuring our Squares for around $200/year with State Farm, that's two boats...

I may have missed something in the fine print, but here in Texas homeowner's insurance covers anything under 26' if it is self powered, (there is a HP limit but my monohulls never got close so I don't remember it). My two in the water boats were in marinas that required liability and a copy of my homeowner's policy worked for them. I can look it up but I am pretty sure it will cover the P16 also. The auto coverage has it when it is rolling and the homeowners covers it when it is wet. My coverage is with Travelers. That is liability only.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • Sorry guys , tradesman good with hands and brute force not so much with keyboard.
  • Mike, I do not believe that homeowners insurance will allow you to race. It is my understanding that you need to have a separate policy with over $100k per accident. The quote I got from Foremost Insurance (also insures my motorcycle) was $100 for a $500k policy. The $500k policy was the same price as the $50k, so inquire about it if you insure.

--
    Alex

Prindle 16 "Shake & Bake"
    Portland, Oregon
    --
  • That's a very good point Alex. I do not race and had not thought of that. For my purposes it would seem to be adequate, buy if you race probably not.

--
    Mike Brady
    Sugar Land, TX
    Sailing off Magnolia Beach in Lavaca Bay TX
    http://358degrees.blogspot.com/
    P16 "Pooh Cat"
    --
  • My "crew" respects my boat or they do not get on. This goes for my cats and my fishing boat. Its my job to show them how to treat the boats, how to care for them, and how to operate. If they are using the boat, I am always aware accidents can happen. I am prepared to repair any problem they encounter or cause. I will probably ask them to help with the repair mostly to show them how to do it but, I would never ask for money.

If you your wallet is sensitive to this, you should not let your friends be responsible for anything on the boat. Its just that clear, I never want money to get in between me and my friends or family. I have 2 cats, I bought one h16 for my Fiance and friends to borrow and learn to sail on. I only have about $400 and a couple days work in it. If my friends managed to sink that boat and lost everything, I assume the financial responsibility with my decision to let them use it. I have an H18 that I have much more money and time in, I will not be letting anyone borrow it or sail it without me until they have proved themselves to be in total control of that boat with me aboard. Use your own judgment.

On the insurance note, I did not even consider insurance before my first regatta. Once I was on the starting line with the other boats I realized that it was 100% mandatory. Sure, I could replace my own boat or the other guys h18, but what about the $25-$30k F20 beside me? Unfortunately my car insurance has no policy for sail boats, but I will be buying some certainly before I attend another regatta.

--
    Greenville SC

Offering sails and other go fast parts for A-class catamarans
    --
  • My "crew" isn't resposible for MY boat. When we are out there I am responsible for everything, including the crews safety. If they keep f'in up your stuff teach them how to handle it properly or stop asking them along.

--
    The Bone
    H16
    Mass / NH
    --
  • i can count on one hand the number of people I have taken sailing that I would think would sue me. Not saying insurance is a bad thing, but I sail mostly with my family and kindred spirits (I love my creeknanny). I have sailed with lots of kids between 6 and 10 too. I never sail with a kid, without that kid's parent on board. That parent is advised if their kid falls off, they should expect they are going off too. A kid (nor parent) has yet to fall off.
    I have never made anyone buy anything as a result of their neglect or bad luck. I expect my family to buy me gifts to support the habit (2012 wish list: cable/rope halyard to eliminate attaching the loop on the sail to the hook on the mast, and a furler).
    Whenever anyone touches a shackle, pin or clip, I make sure they know what those little bits cost, so they are less likely to drop it in the sand or water. A twist shackle is $25!? Captive pins are good insurance too.
  • Last year some clown stole the Prindle's adjustable extension tiller, the original boat part. Now that burns me up.
  • I've been racing small monohulls in Texas for 17 years and I have never heard that liability was mandatory. Maybe people mean it's the smart thing to do, but it's not required by law? I don't trust my insurance agent to answer this honestly....

Has anyone been sued?

--
    John Fricker
    Prindle 16
    Seabrook, Texas
    --
  • It's the standard in racing nowadays for SI to require insurance.

If you engage in racing, then you should have insurance. If you can't afford the insurance, then you can't afford to race.

Edited by tami on Aug 05, 2011 - 08:10 AM.

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.