Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Does your crew respect your boat?  Bottom

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

• and do you hold them liable for things they break/lose/drop/damage?

edit: guess its different for those that sail with family/spouses, but others?

With power boats its always customary to split gas/booze/bait, but with a sailboat... its a little different.

Edited by matt922 on Jul 14, 2011 - 02:38 PM.
  • Bear in mind, if you are skipper, the crew is effectively giving his or her time to work for you.
  • Plus you get to scare the crap out of them flying a hull whenever you want!

--
    Ben Merkley
    Prindle 16
    Chandler, AZ
    --
  • I mostly sail with friends and family and in almost every case they are pretty much clueless when it comes to sailing. Therefore, we get along well.

If the person breaks something because they don't know any better I may yell at them but ultimately I'm responsible for thier actions and safety. Also it's a boat and parts are highly stressed, can't blame anyone but yourself if a shroud fails.

If they drag your boat up on the rocks and don't realize that is a bad thing could you charge them for the bottom job? Not really. If they pull to forestay pin and drop the mast because they were stupid... you may be able to treat them to some physical violence but I don't think you can charge them for the mast repair. If they are just @ssholes and treat your boat like a it was thier dorm room, you are probably justified stranding them on a desert island. I think that most of the time the best you can do is just not invite them to sail with you again or use your boat. The one exception would be if someone took a knife to your sails or tramp or otherwise did some damage on purpose. In that case you might need to take them to small claims court to get anything out of them.

Oh and crew always has to provide cold beer. I think it's a law or something! Or at least it should be.

Edited by Wolfman on Jul 14, 2011 - 03:26 PM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I sail mainly with family and good friends (the kind I would help hide a body if needed). None of them would intentionally damage the boat. If they mess something up it is my fault not theirs. If something breaks I repair or buy a replacement if not repairable. If the repair is time consuming or labor intensive I have asked my various crew members for help (fiberglass work) but I purchased everything for the repair and bought beer/food.

I think the bigger question is what happens when crew gets hurt? Are they gonna sue you (or your insurance) or just carry on with life with the attitude that accidents happen.
  • Hopefully you are sailing with people you trust. Sh!t happens, especially on stressed rigs. Most of the time when things break it is because it is old. How many of us a sailing brand new boats? Also, is it worth it losing a friend over a ripped sail?

--
    Alex

Prindle 16 "Shake & Bake"
    Portland, Oregon
    --
  • And that is why I love living in Canada. Very difficult to sue your friend if you consent to a risky activity or hurt yourself due to your own stupidity. If you act like an idiot the law treats you like an idiot. :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Its not that i really want them to pay for it, just realize that when it does break, it aint cheap.

People that mainly sail with me are my brother and my best bud.( which is probably why i'm so critical about the whole respect shiz thing)
  • Your brother and your bff!? Kick em off the stern if they act up!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I am pretty careful who I invite on my 5.7. That being said, they are volunteers. If they break something, well, it's a hobby, & 100% of my hobby is my resposibility.
    At the end of the day, as long as nobody got hurt, it's fine. I can have sails sewn, buy new bungee cord, fix a ding in a hull, bones & muscle are harder to fix. And lastly, lets be honest, most of us don't sail really expensive boats, it aint The Thomas Crowne Affair. Our boats represent from $300-$3000, not really a lot of cash in the big scheme of things.
    If my regular crew crashed my 5.7 into the breakwall, I'd sell the parts for a good portion of what I paid for it, & go look for another Cat. Hell, I'm doing that now, & my 5.7 is clean!

Edited by Edchris177 on Jul 14, 2011 - 08:22 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • < college student...my pocket is a bit more sensitive than some of you guys icon_razz

also, as a college student, if i get sued, i dont really have much for anyone to take icon_lol
  • If you would make them pay for breaking something then don't invite them. Like Tami says they are your crew. But if it becomes law then can I charge my son for the 20 rigs dings he has dropped in the sand?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • golfdad75If you would make them pay for breaking something then don't invite them. Like Tami says they are your crew. But if it becomes law then can I charge my son for the 20 rigs dings he has dropped in the sand?

no on the ring dings, only for shackles and the expensive quick bail shackles icon_lol
  • And the rig you'd drop if you used quick-connect shackles on standing rigging....
  • Edchris177IOur boats represent from $300-$3000, not really a lot of cash in the big scheme of things.

speak for yourself, man...
  • Heh, heh, heh. Most of us are the dumpster divers and scroungers of sailing. :)

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • My next cat is going to be a RebelCat!! :)

Edited by Wolfman on Jul 15, 2011 - 08:08 AM.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • QuoteI think the bigger question is what happens when crew gets hurt? Are they gonna sue you (or your insurance) or just carry on with life with the attitude that accidents happen.

Don't think a good friend wont sue you (or their insurance company) if push comes to shove. Say for instance they get hit in the head with the boom, suffer a head trauma, go to the hospital and incurr.... $10,000 (or easily more) in bills.

I used to invite cute girls out for rides often until i was told a story about a friend who had friends on his power boat. he told them all NOT to jump off the boat on the dock (as it was not in good repair)... guess what happened ... a girl jumped onto the dock and got hurt..... I can't recall the rest of the story but i think he did get sued, lost friends, etc etc.

I considered carrying a liability waiver in my car for people to sign if they crewed for me... but never did. Now i warn them, this is a sport with risk. I plan on getting very drunk and sail like an idiot. I may even take a nap while at the helm. You understand and accept this risk correct? - just kidding but it is a very litigious world we live/play in...
  • My feeling is if something breaks that is a wear item or something that is aged it is the owners responsibility. If your crew took your boat for a short cruise and jammed a daggerboard into the hull because they forgot to raise them when beaching, that might be another story. Especially if they were experienced enough to know better, which is the only person you should loan your boat to.

I have similar agreements with friends I go snowmobiling with. If you hit something and break something, you fix it. If something just breaks from lack of maintenance or just bad luck, the owner fixes it.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • load it up with blonds, brunettes, redheads, and beer and forget about it girl kiss bussi fallinginlove heart banana ie_fox biglove catchchicken

--
    Hank, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, P16 - "Sideways"
    --

Go to page 1 - 2 - 3 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.