Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

p16 delaminating.  Bottom

• So I just got a p16-73'. Part of one hull is delaminating. I am planning on epoxy injection and then new gelcoat. My question is: Do I need to be concerned about other areas delaming AFTER all painted, and if so is there a way to go about future delam?

--
    Glen Pinkham
    1973 Prindle 16
    Portland, OR
    --
  • First, welcome to TheBeachcats.com!

Is this your first beachcat? Please introduce yourself a little more. You can set your signature for forum posts by going to
    Personal Settings >> Manage your signature

I reccomend using

Your Name
    Boat type
    in your signature to help other members help and get to know you.

On to your question. icon_biggrin

Yes, the rest of the foam sandwich could delaminate, but if you understand what causes it you can do prevention. Delam is caused by either/both moisture intrusion into the sandwich, or impact/flex usually from walking on the decks over time.

Does your boat have hull ports? I can't remember when the P16 switched production to include them. If not you should install some and leave them open whenever you can to keep the interior of the hulls dry.

And don't let people walk or jump on the decks, and don't run into things or let others run into you. That's about all the prevention you can do. Delam is NOT a normal process of aging, it's only common because the things that cause it are common.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • what's happening geep?...besides your new old boat. i would recommend not doing the gel coat work until after the season winds down. get her out as much this summer as you can, you might find more spots as you go. also look at your keels, they tend to wear through and get thin. you can build up a couple of layers of glass to strenghten if needed. my friends old boss at the marina he worked at had a strategy for old boats..."pud" 'em up and use it this year and fix what you have to(needs)...then address the cosmetic stuff in the offseason(wants). the boat will tell you what it needs now and for the p-16 it useually is soft spots, new standing rigging, rudder tuneing, some sail repairs, stuck dolphin striker rod, mast rake questions, etc.. look at the home page here, it's full of p-16's coming back into service, hell, it might be the worlds largest collection of prindle sailors...and of course, pbeagle(prindle pete) is the man. good luck!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Sry for the delay guys-OK Thanx Damon and coastrat. The boat does have hull ports-they are aft and port side under tramp- Not great but........ Can I add some as the later years had them (I cant find a trampoline without the cutouts) This is my first owned cat- I have sailed a few back-oh lets say way back. It was funny- I got her home and it never dawned on me that I had to stare at her for 3 days to remember how to rig. Lol-You guys should have seen my wife and the look on her face! She is English so imagine her saying "What have you gotten yourself into now?" I have several types of boats but the cats are a diff. animal for sure.
    So the plan (long term) is to completely go through her and make her Excellent. Perfect, I have found with anything is a fools errand.. The port/bow deck is soft, nearly from crossbeam to bow-So I am doing the epoxy injection there before I put her in the water. Everything else is OK-mast is straight, all the rigging is there. But I got lots of questions..................The one thing I would like to know now is my boat did not come with a mast hinge-can I add one in any way ?

--
    Glen Pinkham
    1973 Prindle 16
    Portland, OR
    --
  • Your mast base casting on the beam should have area on the back side of the beam where some pins with ring dings on the end can connect the hinge piece.

Mast Base
    http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/56-2006.jpg

Hinge
    http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/56-6815.jpg

Pin
    http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/56-F128.jpg

2 pins connect the hinge one side to your mast one side to the beam. On the bottom of your mast you should have another piece that you connect the hinge to.

I could not find a picture for it.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Thank you-Ok-What I am asking is-can mine be retrofitted (mast and base) for a setup like your photos.

--
    Glen Pinkham
    1973 Prindle 16
    Portland, OR
    --
  • geep, Yes you can update--I have mast base with flange & holes for hinge--it's essential! Try to set mast up in yard using rope to hold base as someone raises it. Check all wires for one broken strand. How are rudders locking down? Pete 909-800-5237
  • QuarathYour mast base casting on the beam should have area on the back side of the beam where some pins with ring dings on the end can connect the hinge piece.

Mast Base
    http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/56-2006.jpg

Just so there is no confusion, shouldn't that be called the "mast step"casting while the "mast base" is the casting attached to the bottom of the mast extrusion? Might make a difference when looking for parts.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • i just replaced both castings(step and base) on my boat last month, bought them from murrays. the old ones wore so bad that the rotation had increased 1/2" and looked like it wanted to jump off when the mast came around hard. also installed new dolphin striker rod and ball. seems like most old ones(ds rods) seize up. matt said prices just spiked lately, have to check that out. i wasn't impressed with the new step base threads though, slightly crappy machineing but works fine.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • So coastrat is there hardware you installed on the mast? That replaces old hardware? My mast never had any step, base etc. But I must find a way to do this cuz raising the mast is a chore.

--
    Glen Pinkham
    1973 Prindle 16
    Portland, OR
    --
  • the mast base is stuck in the bottom of the mast(riveted) and the step base is mounted(riveted) on the crossbar with the dolphin striker threaded through it with the 1/2 round ball screwed onto the dolphin striker rod. i'd go fresh on all of these parts. the picture above is actually the step base that mounts to the crossbar, the mast base slides inside the mast itself. check out murrays under prindle factory parts, there is photos of all these parts there. if you really want to be as safe as can be then replace your standing rigging too...salty dog has the lowest price on sets.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.