Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

~~ This could happen to us to... or probably has !! (From Sailing Anarchy)  Bottom

• jr. tragedy
    Sad news, no doubt. Given how easy it is to get tangled up, we are surprised this sort of thing doesn't happen more often. (From the Baltimore Sun.)

A 14-year-old Annapolis sailing student died after she was trapped underwater for several minutes when her boat capsized in the Severn River Thursday afternoon, a state Department of Natural Resources Police spokesman said.

The incident occurred at about 3:15 p.m. near the U.S. Naval Academy, the spokesman, Sgt. Art Windemuth, said Friday. Based on preliminary information, investigators believe a harness Olivia Constant was wearing "got entangled in the rigging of the sailboat," he said.

He said Constant and another sailing student were practicing at sailing camp when the boat capsized. She was trapped underwater for two to three minutes before an instructor from the Severn Sailing Association who had jumped in was able to free her, Windemuth said.

The instructor immediately started CPR and took her to Anne Arundel Medical Center, where she was pronounced dead, the spokesman said. Investigators are still trying to determine what caused the vessel to capsize, Windemuth said.

06/24/11

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • This is why my daughter (15) and I have been using Bethwaite (ball & socket) trap harnesses for past 3 years. No kids are allowed on my boats without them. Most adults I find are not willing to pay for the (double the price) change. CEO of Hobie Cat, Doug ?, had it happen to him & nearly lost crew several years ago. Pete
  • I came off the back of the p16 on my second time out with the mainsheet around my ankle, and the boat kept on going. Glad i was wearing my big pfd. Now I treat the mainsheet like a live snake!

Ankle still hurts. My tramp doesnt have hiking straps, I need to fix that.
  • Good idea to have a good knife attached to you when on the boat too. Not that it would have save the person mentioned above, but at least if would give another option. I use the RWO quick release hook (QRH) system. Pricey but gives you some extra piece of mind. Also when soloing I'm always hooked in just so something like that mainsheet mishap is less likely to happen!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I just placed an order for the Bethwaite Ball and Socket system. I have a vivid memory of a pitchpole incident while I was hiking out solo on my old Hobie 16. I was thrown around the front of the boat, which then tipped over on top of me. I tried to surface but the mainsail was above me and I was immobile. It was only when I realized I was still hooked in that I was able to unhook and swim out to the surface. The event scared me, I realized that if I had panicked, I could have drowned. That happened 32 years ago. I'm taking delivery of a new hobie 16 this week and want my teenage boys to have fun while remaining safe.

Thanks for this thread....

--
    Karl, Captain of Stayin' Thirsty
    2011 Hobie 16SE
    Atlanta, GA
    --
  • pbegleThis is why my daughter (15) and I have been using Bethwaite (ball & socket) trap harnesses for past 3 years. No kids are allowed on my boats without them. Most adults I find are not willing to pay for the (double the price) change. CEO of Hobie Cat, Doug ?, had it happen to him & nearly lost crew several years ago. Pete

Definitely makes think the extra cost is worth it. I had my son and nephew on the boat Saturday and they are both about the same age as that girl. My biggest worry was not going over but if I did would they get caught somewhere. The front of my tramp is crisscross of bungees with a small cooler in the middle. I put them there for ease of stowing stuff and I usually leave them all year because they are pain to setup. There is probably only a couple sails a year that I really need them when I will be out long enough or far enough away from shore that I needs snacks and drybag with jackets and such. The Prindle tramp is a hazard enough without me adding to it.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • I have a large zippered mesh bag that attaches to the bridals and front crossbar. It holds quite a bit and leaves the tramp clean. I got this with a bunch of P16 stuff that I bought. Never thought I would use it,
    but man is it ever handy.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    Goodall Viper,AHPC Viper,Nacra I20
    --
  • ~~ I'am probably like most or some of the guys on here. We have a folding knife in our pocket that would be hard to get to, gotta open it with 2 hands, ya hope NOT to drop it--cause you'll really be screwed... all this time your holding yer breath,~~ (for how long?) getting thrashed around under yer cat (turtled) from winds of about 15-20 w/gusts !!! This kinda happened to me,, but I got out from under it with no problem--almost kinda scarry...... I've looked sometimes to find a good knife with a sheath that I could strap to my leg but where it wouldn't be in the way, but some are almost as big as a "Jim Bowie" knife....... I think I'll take a ride to Bass Pro shop and look again !!! This is something to think about ~~

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • http://www.myerchin.com/R…g_%28Rope%29_Knives.html
    Myerchin makes the best rigging knives in the business with 1 handed open on the folders. Blades are 2.2-2.8" long. Marlinspike is invaluable for undoing overtight knots, or fending off sharks:) Not to mention the sailing tool with the built in pliers!! I have 2!

http://www.ceramicknife.org/
    Coolest knives ever. Inexpensive ceramic folders, one hand open. Made for the Canadian Military Exposive Ordinance Disposal teams. The carbon fiber one has no metal in it once you take the belt clip off and is super light. Perfect for cutting through dyneema line like butter and without fraying. I have the rigging knife and the carbon fiber one.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • I had a scary experience my first time ever on a cat 10+ years ago. Demasted, and was caught under the sail, still hooked in. Now I attach one of these to each harness:

http://www.bladehq.com/it…ade-Rescue-Hook-5-w--665

Cheap, tiny, and cuts through line, webbing, straps, etc. like butter. No worries about opening when in panic mode.
    It even has a bottle opener on it for that post-trauma beer...

pknapp66I have a large zippered mesh bag that attaches to the bridals and front crossbar. It holds quite a bit and leaves the tramp clean. I got this with a bunch of P16 stuff that I bought. Never thought I would use it,
    but man is it ever handy.

pkapp66, can you snap a picture of this next time you go out? I can't really picture it, but it sounds like a cool idea. thanks

Edited by flaco on Jun 28, 2011 - 03:30 PM.
  • Flaco I will get a few pics next time I am with the boat. Camping with the H18 this weekend, so it might not be till next weekend that I get back on the P16.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • I think we're all overlooking the important issue here, what could have caused that boat to capsize???

QuoteInvestigators are still trying to determine what caused the vessel to capsize, Windemuth said.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • The important issue here is not what caused the boat to capsize. All small cats & club monohauls are expected to capsize--it's the nature of the beast. You don't get on one if you're afraid of capsize. The important issue is (according to preliminary investigation) she was wearing a trapeze harness with a hook in it. There have been 7-8 deaths like this in last ten years. She was NOT wearing a Bethwaite ball & socket harness,period. And capsize recovery should be practiced before extensive sailing is done. Pete
  • ~
    Quote~ I'am probably like most or some of the guys on here. We have a folding knife in our pocket that would be hard to get to, gotta open it with 2 hands, ya hope NOT to drop it--cause you'll really be screwed... all this time your holding yer breath,~~ (for how long?) getting thrashed around under yer cat (turtled) from winds of about 15-20 w/gusts !

I always thought a stiletto Type of knife attached to shock cord tied to your PFD would be the answer. The blade would pop out with a push of a button and the blade could be short enough to be legal.
  • Where are you buying the bethwaite harness.

--
    Pete Knapp
    Schodack landing,NY
    --
  • Murrays has sold them for years. 800-786-7245 Pete
  • What I would like to know is why you can only get the spreaders in carbon fiber now. Would probably be more accessible if the still made the cast pvc ones. Then again, everything sailboat is expensive so why not these.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • The cast pvc ones began breaking under load, so they had to discontinue & go to carbon fiber. Pete
  • I haven't thought of using it until after reading this thread, but I have a dive knife that is designed for this very application. Dive knives are usually strapped to one's leg or forearm and can be extracted from their holster by one hand. I had to use my dive knife once in all of my dives when I got tangled in heavy monofilament line. Many dive knives even have a blunt end to prevent accidental stabbings; they are only for cutting lines, belts, etc. I think using a dive knife would be the way to go.

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • ~~ I remember something a long time ago,, not sure if I read it or heard it but someone was caught under his tramp and used a knife with a point, jabed it through his tramp and ripped it open so he could catch his breath... This being said, maybe rescue hooks or some things as such might not be that good????? points could poke ya, I really don't care if it's not legal because it's to long... If it saves my life or someones elses in need~~ SCREW the law. Thats the only time I would carry it..... Arrest me, sue me, or pat me on the back.....

--
    and other toys.......
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.