Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Prindle 16 In Havasu  Bottom

• Hello,
    I'm new to sailing catamarans but have sailed quite a few times years ago in Guam. I resurrected an old 1975 Prindle literally out of a barn in Southern California. I'm working on bringing the boat back to top form (New Trampoline from SLO sail, All New Rigging and line, Sails were in perfect shape) and will be sailing her in Lake Havasu Arizona until I move back to the coast. Only missing one Part so far, (the tiller extender I believe its called) although I have rigged up a length of aluminum tubing for the time being. Hopeing to take her out for her shake down cruise this weekend
    I found your guys site and have been looking around extensively into the forums and have been learning quite a bit. Thank you all in advance for any advice or help you give.
    Anyone els on here from the Havasu area?
    Zack
  • Sounds like a great boat. Tiller extensions are also called hiking sticks so you you can steer while your hiked out on the trapeze. Nice ones can be a bit pricey. They come in aluminum and fiberglass versions. The aluminum are a bit cheaper but not as durable. They are telescoping so you can adjust the length you need. I have 2 unsued at home that the the little pieces that let you lock in the length are shot so I cannot use them. One came with the boat and I broke it my first sail by using it extended out to far. The other I got from Pete Begle on this forum he may have others. Pete is at Big Bear and may have lots of goodies for your prindle give him a call at 909-800-5237. That one the the little rubber piece that locks it at length is shot.

Some people have been know to also use a cheap telescoping painters stick but they are not made for one handed telescoping usually.

If anyone knows where to get to replace these bits I love to resurrect these sticks for someone. I currently am using a Arriba fiberglass on but even it is isn't whole I bought it used and one end had been broken off. It works fine but is a bit shorter than others. Since I don't really hike out it hasn't been a problem so far.

Edited by Quarath on Jun 09, 2011 - 10:25 AM.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • finally got the hiking stick handled...
    one question, it may sound like a noob question and all but ... when im changing direction on the wind and the traveler for my main sail goes all the way over to the one side, how do i get it back? do i need a second line to pull the traveler back?
  • Definitely. 2nd line or tail of mainsheet if long enough. Need about 10 feet. Center traveler for going to weather, half way out for beam reach, all way out for broad reach. Pete
  • Check out album at http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=63029, tail of mainsheet threads through traveler to control traveler.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Yes look at the link above at pics 10-13. You can use the tail of your main sheet or a second line that you tie to the end of your Mainsheet. Many use 2 and have the traveler line be a different color than the main sheet so you can easily tell which is which.

I only have one line like the picture. it helps when you do this to tie a stopper knot in the line that keeps the traveler from slamming into the end of the tracks. When using 2 lines the knot where you tie them together can do this. Tie them together with a double (or follow through) figure 8. In the sample they use one line but if you ignore the loop on the end both sides will look like the first side with a rope and a tail coming out.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • You need the traveler line, & cleat. The cleat should be mounted on a base, on the rear beam. My '84 Nacra looks like this:
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=74454&g2_serialNumber=5&g2_GALLERYSID=4de8d021cb1a3e608935b518d3fbdc92

This setup gives a 2:1 [urchase on the traveler car.
    The teeth on the cleats may get worn to the point they let the line slip. It is pretty easy to get used cams & replace them

Edited by Edchris177 on Jun 19, 2011 - 07:21 PM.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • spydersurf1,
    Use a 10 foot length of slightly smaller line for the traveler and tie it to the end of the mainsheet with a double sheet bend. The smaller line will feed through the traveler cleats much easier, and you can tie the double sheet bend as a stopper as someone else suggested. On my P16 the mainsheet was 7/16" and the traveler line was 5/16". I have used a double sheet bend for longer than I will admit, but if it seems to wonky a knot, tie a water knot.
    Sheet in!
    Bob

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.