Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Anybody using lashing blocks  Bottom

• If so where and how do you like to attach them.

--
    Greg Gunderson
    --
  • not quite sure what you mean....

but i have 2 ronston orbit auto-ratcheting gennaker blocks lashed/tied to the rear beam of my weta trimaran, as per the factory fitment
  • Had to give up handing out lashings to the crew after the ... well lets just call it "the incident". There was no need of police involvement.

Besides, I sail a Wave now.
  • There are a couple of things you can be referring to. Lashing blocks are normally just blocks that are attached using a dyneema loop instead of a metal shacke. I have a few on my boat, they just replace any non-cleated block you may use, like bullet blocks.

The other is a multi purchase low friction system with no moving parts. Those are mostly used on the big boats to give high purchase adjustment to shrouds, forestays and backstays similar to the discussion of a Portuguese turnbuckle in one of the other active threads. Unless you are going to an all high tech line rigging system there is likely no advantage to going to lashing blocks and web tie sheaves on a beachcat.

You can use them but realize you have to do a lot more inspection and maintenance because the lines will degrade and fray much faster than standard aluminum ball bearing blocks.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I use them (the type in Dave's first paragraph). Basically the Ronstan 20s and 30s. I put a 30 on tonight actually to add some length to my trap bungie. I have used the 20s for dyneema splices. The 30 I just used a bowline in 3/16 sta-set.

Like Dave said, basically just like bullet blocks. I actually prefer them as they seem a bit cheaper, and, while I don't care about the .1 oz in weight, I like the fact that they're built more simply. There's enough going on without making things more complex than necessary.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.