Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Phoenix 18 Catamaran Questions  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• I also found an old Portsmouth chart that had the Phoenix listed, it's rating numbers are similar to a Prindle 16, so pretty quick for such and old design.

Phoenix D-PN = 77.8
    Wind ratings
    1-3 mph = 83.9
    4-12 mph = 80.0
    13-17 mph = 77.5
    18-54 mph = 71.3

Prindle 16 D-PN = 77.7
    Wind ratings
    1-3 mph = 84.7
    4-12 mph = 81.4
    13-17 mph = 76.4
    18-54 mph = 71.3

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Just found your pictures in the Members album, wow, the bows on that thing look like weapons.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=80269
    That shot also show the molded in "gil" in the hulls, the brand new Hobie Wildcat has something very similar.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=73342

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Hey Guys,

My name is Darren Johns. I'll add all the pics I took of the Cat. It was on Sunday sitting at the ex owners house. My wife loves the "youngish" hair quip too thanks :P She's 43 and rarin to go on that Cat.
    I like the front tramp idea for sure. Posting pics now to the ID Album Damon....

--
    D Johns
    Phoenix 18 KC#126
    Port Hope Ontario

"If I put 2 Spinnakers on it, will it go faster?"
    --
  • argento102Hey Guys,

My name is Darren Johns. I'll add all the pics I took of the Cat. It was on Sunday sitting at the ex owners house. My wife loves the "youngish" hair quip too thanks :P She's 43 and rarin to go on that Cat.
    I like the front tramp idea for sure. Posting pics now to the ID Album Damon....

I found a few other pics of Gibbs and Downie runnin the Phoenix. What im REALLY interested
    in guys is the front TRAMP idea suggested a few posts ago.

Darren

--
    D Johns
    Phoenix 18 KC#126
    Port Hope Ontario

--
  • A couple of boats have them, the most useful example would be the Hobie Getaway. That boat, however, has WAY more floatation than yours. Unlikely you would want to put an adult up there in anything but really light winds or you would drive the bow into the water. You would also have to make sure that the front beam was attached in such a way to handle the loads.

I think Andrew has a small one on his Mystere that he uses for storage? Also some of the G-Cats had them.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I believe Andrew (MN3) had a thread a year or so ago about what he did to add one. He used to post under another name, but had to go into stealth mode. He is on here regular, hopefully he can link to that thread.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Edchris177I believe Andrew (MN3) had a thread a year or so ago about what he did to add one. He used to post under another name, but had to go into stealth mode. He is on here regular, hopefully he can link to that thread.

Thanks guys, i'll check for that link. Next, if the bottom hulls need a light sanding and new finish, what's a solid primer/paint/clearcoat brand?

Is Imron still what is used? The bottom runners
    on both hulls need a "light" scuffing and finish.

Darren J
    Phoenix f18
    Chocolate Maker &
    Wine Something or Another

Edited by argento102 on Jun 10, 2011 - 03:45 AM.

--
    D Johns
    Phoenix 18 KC#126
    Port Hope Ontario

--
  • i would hold off on cosmetic stuff until you sail her several times...the boat might have pressing needs you don't know about right now. we have a strategy for used boats, "pud" up and sail her this season, the boat will tell you what it needs this year. you would be pi$$ed if you went through all the labor and materials to refinish it and found out that it needs repairs under that pretty new paint. sail it like you stole it this summer! then when fall comes you can plan your resto for the off season.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Ok guys, I have some close up hull shots of paint etc. They're both solid with no soft spots etc.
    That being said, what are refinish opinions etc when it's time.

Darren

Ph18
    No Racing Yet

--
    D Johns
    Phoenix 18 KC#126
    Port Hope Ontario

--
  • It looks like the previous owner painted over the gelcote, & the paint is starting to fail. I would buy a couple sheets of 220, 400, 600 grit automotive finish sandpaper. It is wet/dry paper, the black stuff. You can use your palm sander, or give everybody an upper body workout by purchasing two sanding blocks, & go at 'er. Keep a garden hose handy, so you are sanding "wet", & frequently flush off the debris. For this summer I would just give it a once over with 220, followed by 400. Just try to remove the loose paint that has failed, then sail the crap out of her. When the season ends you can take the boat apart & decide either to remove all the paint & buff the gelcote back to a lustre, or repaint.
    If the underlying gelcote is in decent shape, I would simply sand with finer & finer paper, working to 600 grit, then a rub down with something like Collinette 925 cleaner,(it has a very small amount of rubbing compound). The gelcote itself will now be fairly shiny. Follow with Collinete 920 wax, & it will look nearly new. Total cost including sandpaper, 925 & 920, plus a cheap palm sander, two hand blocks & power buffer will be less than a gallon of good two part paint, assuming you have the spray gun & compressor.
    You will have to do almost all of the above anyway, BEFORE you paint. Prep for painting has no shortcuts, poor prep will give a poor job.
    Each to his own of course, but unless you want a different color, or the gelcote is destroyed, why not bring oxidized gelcote back to its original glory.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Now that's the answer I'm after!

--
    D Johns
    Phoenix 18 KC#126
    Port Hope Ontario

--

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.