Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Can a jib sail from a 1972 Gulfport 18 fit on a 1984 prindle cat?  Bottom

• Ok here is my delima.... I have a prindle cat 18' and the hulls are de-laminated(yes I am going to fix with the injection method) I have everything but the jib, wiil a jib off of a 1972 Gulfport 18 fit the prindle 18? I am a new comer to the catamaran world, have sailed a little sunfish for 2 1/2 years , but it does not require a jib.
  • well I see that 14 people read my post but no replies? I need some help.
  • Not many folks even know what a Gulport 18 is, much less what the jib sail measures. . . .

--
    Philip
    --
  • Exactly, kind of hard to answer if you don't know. I can tell you that the Luff(the edge that goes along the forestay) of my P18 jib is just shy of 17ft. I do not have the other measurements written down but you might can find them listed online with one of the sail lofts that make cat sails. If the measurements are relatively close and it fits with your halyard system then it might work. Does the gulfport sail have a zippered pocket that goes around the forestay?

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • gertsonf, glad to see you decided to revive your Prindle 18, I don't know if you got my PM encouraging you to look into fixing delamination. Here are the dimensions on the P18 jib"-

Leading Edge (Luff) - 16' 10"
    Trailing Edge (Leech) -15' 11"
    Bottom Edge (Foot) - 5' 11"

If the dimensions of the jib off of the Gulfport 18 are close, go ahead and use it for the time being, but try get a used P18 jib when you can, talk to Pete Begle here on this website

The forestay of the P18 is made up of 2 parts, upper forestay & lower forestay, the upper forestay is made up of a short length and a longer piece. The longer piece of the upper forestay has a ring attached, the shorter piece acts as a block. The longer piece of the upper forestay is connected to the lower forestay using a shackle, the entire forestay length measures in at about 246 inches.

The jib halyard runs through the thimble on the shorter piece of the upper forestay and through the SS ring on the longer piece, make sure both lenghts of the jib halyard run through the ring, also make sure when connecting the upper forestay to the mast hound that the shorter piece is closest to the mast. Once the mast is stepped and secured, attach the jib to the jib halyard using the small SS hook which should be on the one end of the jib halyard, in the shape of an "S", one end closed, the open end has a small loop on the outside edge
    http://www.murrays.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/56-9839.jpg
    the halyard line connects to the small loop on the outside edge of the "S", connect the jib to the closed end of the "S" using a shackle, make sure the open end of the "S" hook faces the mast. Before you raise the jib by hauling on jib halyard, secure zipper around forestay and as you raise the sail, close the zipper, wait for hook to pass through SS ring on upper forestay, then pull down on the jib tack try to "engage" hook into SS ring, might take a few attempts of alternating pulling on the jib halyard and pulling on the sail tack untill hook catches ring. Now you can feed jib downhaul line through bridle shackle and take up slack, cleat line off at cleat on jib tack.

All of this info can be found in the Prindle manual, pages 21 & 22, http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=75669 It's all too complicated for me so I converted to a furling jib, once I step the mast the jib is ready to go.

Hope this helps
    Turbo
    P18

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • gertsonf, I don't recommend doing it. Your boat now is worth a few hundred dollars for parts. If you inject hulls, then fill the divits with bondo and hand paint the deck with Rustoleum or Interlux Brightside, put a new tramp on, and put ad on this site for P-18 zipper jib ($150), your boat is worth at least $2000 because it's a quality brand. A new zipper on Gulfport 18 jib will cost $60-80 and will probably be fuller (and slower) than P-18 jib & lower value of your boat. I don't have jib at this time. Pete
  • If you don't find just a jib watch for a set of P18 sails main and jib together you still might get a deal. Watch ebay as well.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.