Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Custom Wings  Bottom

• At a grand a pair i rather just have another H18. But i figure i can greatly improve my first by building some wings.

I have an '82 non magnum. The magnum design seats looks like i can duplicate. In galvanized steel.

The only thing I'm worried about is the pivoting portion on the cross bar. i would have to drill through the crossbar i think and that would weaken the whole boat entirely. I also think. has anyone ever done this?

Thanks

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Honestly, I've heard of a lot of people trying but very few succeeding at making custom wings. The ones that were successful seem to have had access to a pro machinist that made them for them.

I considered it myself but after looking at it, knowing I don't ave the welding and machining skills to do it myself I figured it would cost me more than factory seats (if I could find them).

If you feel you are competent at welding and metal working you should be able to do it given a pattern to work from.

Galvy is probably not the best material to start with. Even in fresh water it will start to corrode quickly even through some decent paint. Especially at any welds you put in. If you have a set to use as a pattern to work from and are a good fabricator/welder you might be able to do it. If you can do it with all bolted connections you could use aluminum tube which will be lighter and won't rust.

I think to do it right you would need access to a mandrel bender (such as some exhaust placed have) that is capable of bending 3/32" aluminum tube (or you could hand miter the connections without bending the tubing). To make the connections you would also need a tig welder (for aluminum tubing) and the skills to use it (or a welder friend). Making them articulated adds another degree of complexity to the whole thing that I would try to avoid. But that is just my opinion.

If you do it and are successful please document the process with photos and post them many people will be interested in seeing it.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • ~~ Do NOT drill through for a pivot point......... Do ya need picts?? In the slot that they pivot in, you would have to insert a short threaded female "slug" (I would call it)....... A bolt would screw into that. If your unsure how it should looks or the "go toghter process" I might be able to help you.....!!! let me know...... before I get my cat into the water..

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • Im a pretty good welder. I would use bolted aluminum if I could get my hands on some aluminum.

And i have seen the slug in the magnums. do they just sit in the slot or what? I'm not sure how that works Ive never seen any detailed pictures of that area. If you could point me in the direction of some good pictures that would be great.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • http://i192.photobucket.com/albums/z87/ragnar_danneskjold/Hobie%2018%20Magnum%20Wings/DSCN1446.jpg

There is clearly a "slug" in the cross bar. but is the cross bar strengthened in that area to hold extra weight? and could i slide in a slug if i took my trampoline out? is that piece made there permanently from the factory or is it an add on to my cross bar?

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Kevin219
    There is clearly a "slug" in the cross bar. but is the cross bar strengthened in that area to hold extra weight? and could i slide in a slug if i took my trampoline out? is that piece made there permanently from the factory or is it an add on to my cross bar?

The original Magnum wings were setup like your picture, just the slug and no other reinforcement. Worked ok but some boats had trouble with the slugs pulling out of the track. So for the SX wings Hobie came up with a reinforcement plate that riveted over the slug onto the beam. I'll look for a picture of it, it's available as a parts kit from Hobie and would be worth using.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • If you could come across some pictures that would be great. now since on a regular H18 I have trampoline where the slug fits I could just cut that off though I'm sure.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.