Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

replacing Prindle 16 hull  Bottom

• I have a Prindle 16 which had a tree fall on it and cracked hull inside of starboard hull at the bottom of the hull. I am pretty good at glasswork, but I also have access to another P 16 hull and can just replace it. How difficult is it to remove old hull and put on new hull? The hulss have an access port so seems that I can get at front attachements...how about the aft attachements?
  • Removing the hull shouldn't be that hard, and it might be worth doing anyway to make the glasswork easier.

Here is a link to the Prindle 16 assembly manual that shows how the hull is attached.
    http://www.thebeachcats.c…ictures/?g2_itemId=75669

Do the other Prindle members a favor and document what you do with pictures, especially if you disassemble your boat, taking apart a 20+ year old boat can be different from factory fresh.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • the rear crossbar bolts are accessable from holes on the inside of the hulls just below the crossbar. there may be(should be) a white rubber plug in the hole right now. a small phillips head screwdriver stuck in the hole(center of plug) helps get it out. no problem at all on swapping hulls. my boat has a '77 and a'79 hull with no problems.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Thanks Guys, yes I remember that rubber plug and it has seriously deteriorated, and will probably need to be replaced as I am sure it will disintegrate when I try to remove it. (availability???)( As I recall the plug is not that large, but I assume large enough to get the right tool in there. Cost & time was the issue, costs of:Biax, West System, grinding etc., multiple layers etc etc.. Swapping hulls sounds like the way to go THANKS. By the way I couldn't down load that manual, but was able to view it. When I clicked on Download, nothing happened.
  • wdtracey By the way I couldn't down load that manual, but was able to view it. When I clicked on Download, nothing happened.

The photo album doesn't really handle pdf's very well, you have to click through several levels before you get to the page that says "Download Document" and click that link.

Here's a direct link to the "Download Document" page for the manual.

http://www.thebeachcats.c…873&g2_imageViewsIndex=2

Go to that page and click "Download Document" and what happens next depends on your browser, it will either display the pdf or ask you if you want to save or view.

Please try it and let me know what happens.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • You'll need a long 1/2" wrench for inside nuts and will need heavy rubber mallet to break away crossbeam after removing bolts because of corrosion. Forget rubber plug, use duct tape to cover blind hole upon finishing. Pete

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.