Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Grand Traverse Bay  Bottom

• We are looking at staying near Traverse City State Park, MI Labor Day. It looks to be at the southern end of the Grand Traverse Bay. Satelite view seems to indicate a sandy beach area for launching. True??

How is the water temp around Labor Day Weekend that time of year?

Thank you!!

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • You wear a full wet suit all the time in the Great Lakes! Pete
  • You might be interested in the Red Fox Regatta at lake Charlevoix that weekend.

Water is chilly; probably mid-60's that time of year.

--
    Jeff R
    '88 H18 "Jolly Mon"
    '10 C2 USA1193
    NE IN / SE MI
    cramsailing.com
    --
  • QuoteYou wear a full wet suit all the time in the Great Lakes! Pete

not down here

I went sailing yesterday. water 53 degrees. 60 degree air. 30 mile an hour winds. my buddy had shorts and a t-shirt. it was wicked. we were in a mono haul though...

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • not sure what happened to my signature... Lake Michigan, Chicago ish

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Kevin219not sure what happened to my signature... Lake Michigan, Chicago ish

At the top of the forum click on "Personal Settings" and then "Manage my Signature" to check.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • sailinagin , myself and sailing friends are here in Traverse City. The water temp is still chilly but we sail anyways. (wetsuit time)

First of all, Grand Traverse bay is split into two bays (near the base of the bay) west bay and east bay. They are separated by a long, thin strip of land (about 20 miles long) called Old Mission Peninsula. You will be on east bay with the park. We moor our cats on west bay. There is much more action on west bay. The distance from the park to west bay is less than three miles. If you decide to sail on west bay, we can set you up with a mooring. If you decide east bay is where you want to be, you may want to contact the park. No boats are allowed on the beaches or shores in Traverse City except private property. However, at the state park they have been letting just catamarans and row boats stay on the beach. This is a courtesy thing and permission must be granted.

We sail quite a lot and would like to have others to sail with.

Feel free to contact me for any details. tctrader30@yahoo.com
  • Thank you TCTrader. I will be in touch as our plans come together. Do you suggest the full wetsuit that time of year there?

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Yes, the full wet suit is a good Idea. During that time of year, it can be quite warm out and
    any wetsuit can make you hot, but the water is still pretty cold.

Jim

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.