Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

mama bob or baby bob?  Bottom

• Hi, iv recently bought a hobie tiger that i want to try single handed soon. Im going to fit a righting pole but im worried about it going turtle so i think i may need to fit a masthead float aswell.
    Does anyone have any experience of how quickly a tiger may turn turtle, or if it will at all? (i know to get off the hull quiclky to reduce the chance of this happening)
    Also if it is recommended to fit a float, will the baby bob be big enough or would i need to fit a mama bob?
    Thanks
  • How water tight is your mast? that will make a big difference in how big a float you will need, and what chance you have of righting it solo.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Where is our resident Tiger expert, you out there Kenny? I know you've had your boat on it's side a time or two!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Seal the mast properly. Sailing a Tiger with a Hobie bob would just be silly.
  • I just installed a Mama Bob on my Prindle. Uploaded some pictures in the technical gallery a couple days ago.

The way I see it, I'd rather look silly sailing with a mast float than looking silly waving down power boats to help me get a boat un-turtled.

--
    Uwe
    94 Prindle 19 - "überKat"
    DFW, TX
    --
  • Uh, Did you seal your new rivets? Looking at your photos it looks like all the original rivets were sealed.

Moma bob is about 6 lb mounted. At the end of a 30 foot mast with your boat on it's side it exerts 180 foot pounds of force to help keep the boat on its side.
  • Quotehe way I see it, I'd rather look silly sailing with a mast float than looking silly waving down power boats to help me get a boat un-turtled.

Well you have accomplished that.
    If you can sail a Tiger then you don't need a bob.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Golfdad you have two posters mixed up. uh put the moma bob on a Prindle 19.

In 20 years of sailing I have only turtled 2 times. The first was on a rental Hobie 16 off St. Pete Beach. They had used a right laid 3 strand line for the main sheet. This would cause the blocks to twist, I let out but the blocks didn't. The boat blew over and went turtle. The wind was blowing the hulls sideways and the resistance of the sails and mast in the water brought the mast up on the wind ward side. We righted the boat and watched the main sheet blocks carefully. The mast must of been sealed real good.

The second time was at Birmingham Sailing Club, a gust caught 3 or 4 boats and we went over. Two Nacras turtled. The other one was righted quickly by the safety boat. It took two boats towing my Nacra about a mile sideways. One towing and the other holding the top of the mast out of the water. Once enough water had run out of the top of the mast the boat was righted. Inspection showed that the top casting on the mast was a little loose and had broken the seal. I have capsized this boat many times and as long as the mast is sealed it did not go turtle.

Edited by skarr1 on Apr 19, 2011 - 09:53 PM.
  • Please dont put a bob on that sweet looking Tiger. teacher Seal the mast well. I have had my 18 on its side in the ocean and a lake for 20 plus minutes - never came close to turtling.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • Two weeks ago I turtled my C2 twice in one outing. No problem to get it back up. No need to fear turtling unless you are in shallow water....
  • gbkerseyTwo weeks ago I turtled my C2 twice in one outing. No problem to get it back up. No need to fear turtling unless you are in shallow water....

Shallow water turtles can get pretty messy (and expensive)!

gbkersey, how do you like your C2? Where do you sail and what total crew weight can it handle (competitively).

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I didn't weigh mine but it sure didn't feel like 6lbs.

The pros I see are:

1) No turtles. Even with the wind driving the mast and sails under the water.

2) The bob keeps the mast higher out of the water, keeping the upper hull from being as far over the balance point. An effect similar to quick release righting shrouds.

3) The elevated mast prevents the sail from holding as much water/weight and allows the wind to get under the sails easier.

The cons:

1) less aerodynamic.
    I don't race, so not an issue for me.

2) More righting weight.
    Probably offset by the pros of the upper hull, center of weight issue. And I have a large righting bag.

3) Looks silly.
    Kinda like the arguments that used to go around about PFDs not being macho.

Personally, I don't see anything aesthetically detracting about mast floats. IMHO, it's a piece of safety equipment with more pros than cons.

--
    Uwe
    DFW, TX
    --
  • skarr1,

I haven't sealed them yet in the pictures. I used the sealed rivet caps so that should seal them. But I do plan on adding silicone also.

Your turtling story is exactly what I plan to prevent from happening...ever!

--
    Uwe
    DFW, TX
    --
  • The 180 foot pounds that I mentioned is with the mast horizontal, so the hulls would be vertical. The bob will stop you from going turtle but weight aloft will cause you to capsize more often.

From Murrays website
    The Mama Bob displaces 59 pounds of water, is 22" long x 18" diameter and weighs 5.85 lbs. It is almost the same height at the Baby Bob, but is wider. Instructions are included for mounting on the recommended boats, with some drilling and tapping or light modification necessary for some boats. Oversized item. The smaller Baby Bob (#07-30115) is also an option for most Hobie Cats.

http://www.murrays.com/mm…_Code=C-RI&Store_Code=MS

Edited by skarr1 on Apr 20, 2011 - 09:18 PM.
  • Love the C2. Awesome boat. Unbelievable quality compared to the N20 that I sailed before. I believe the C2 can handle the weight as least as well as the Infusion. So, I'd say close to 400lbs (if there is wind). But I haven't been sailing very competitively lately. Beuerlein has beaten me in the last two regattas.

I sail in and around Austin, TX. But I'll be brining the C2 to East TN this summer at some point.

Cheers!
    Bo

Edited by gbkersey on Apr 21, 2011 - 07:59 AM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.