Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

H18 Neoprene Rail Kit Removal  Bottom

• I am going to replace my cracking neoprene rails. Do you have suggestions on ways to remove the old rails?

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • I used a filet knife when I did mine. Laying the knife dang near parallel with the hull and it worked pretty good and never cut into the gelcoat.

I left what glue was left behind for a better grip with the new glue (contact cement).

I also used carpeting from the automotive section of WalMart as a replacement.

I has worked out really well. Been in the sun for 1 year now and not one bit of fading.
  • Heat gun or a good hairdryer and it should peel right off.

--
    H16 / Tampa-St pete
    --
  • Let me know how and what you replace it with. I got mine off with a putty knife.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • prabowHeat gun or a good hairdryer and it should peel right off.
    Be really careful if you choose this route you can created a soft spot on the boat from this because the glue they use is so strong you may over heat the hull and not relize it till it to late. I have used a heat gun to remove stripes off of several boats but these rails can be really stuck on big time. Just be careful if you decide to use the heat gun keep it 8-12 inchs away from the hull!!!
  • Yeah I agree! Definitely be carefull. I use a heat gun to remove glue from hobie rails and a hairdryer to remove stickers from the hulls.

--
    H16 / Tampa-St pete
    --
  • A man can mess up with a knife or razor in 30 seconds what will take him a week to fix. I reccomend Goo Removal from Home Depot and a lot of elbow grease.

Edited by golfdad75 on Mar 11, 2011 - 10:06 AM.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • If your removing the neoprene and the stickers chances are you'll be doing some sanding anyway.

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=72661&g2_

i've had some luck with stubbern adhesives using a citrus based paint stripper called CITRUS STRIP. walmart used to carry it...still see it sometimes. test in a discrete place...if good then go for it. paint on a fat coat, don't brush back and forth, wait 20 mins or so, paint on another coat, wait til glue comes off in sheets(useually 10 mins). washes clean with water...didn't seem to affect gelcoats or aluminum...will mess up plastics!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Thanks all! I found a great tool to remove the cracking neoprene, I'll post a tech manual on it. I'll try the Citrus Strip. I tried Goo Gone but that was a bust - the adhesive didnt even flinch.

I am replacing the old strips with the replacement die cut set from Hobie.

Edited by sailinagin on Mar 11, 2011 - 09:07 PM.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.