Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Fabricating/Homemade rudders  Bottom

• What's the cheapest and/or most ideal material to use for making your own rudders?

Since my AMF Trac 16 has been discontinued for around 25 years, finding parts is pretty rare, I think it's my best option to make my own rudders. One of my rudders is in great shape and will be a great template for building a new set.

Has anyone built their own rudders?

I did a search but could not really find anything... a link pointing me in the right direction would be great! :)

Any advice will be greatly appreciated!

--
    1984 AMF Trac 16, First year of sailing, Central California
    --
  • Call a guy named Pat at Starboard Marine in Panama City, Fl. I believe he has an old AMF sitting around.

Heck, I even found an old Boston Whaler catamaran in his boneyard. I didn't know they even made one.
  • Boston Whaler = Supercat
  • I have a great source for how to make your own carbon fiber rudders and daggerboard with videos and everything, but it's on my home computer and I'm at work. Same process for fiberglassing them. I will post it tonight with a materials source also.

Bascially for a base material you can use structural foam or balsawood as a base, shape it, glass it and fair it. Both are light and easily shapeable, the balsa is a little easier to souce. You can glass without a vaccum bag system but vaccuum bagging produces a little more strength in the final product.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • I made new rudders for my Hobie 21SE out of Mahogany and covered with fiberglass.The wood cost me $63 (13" wide by 1.25" thick by 73" long)and another $100 or so on fiberglass and paint.It was so easy ,that I should have made an extra set since the wood was so affordable.I had plenty of left over other materials to make four total.
    I simply took my old fiberglass rudder and traced out a template from it, transfer it to a piece of wood 36.5" long and cut it out with my jig saw.Than I use my brother rather cheap router table and cut the "V" or knife edge and than cut the Bull nose out.I used an old long rasp to shape it.I was amazed on how fast that rasp shaped the wood.Time so far less than two hours.
    My friend milled me a sleeve out of some exotic Teflon or ? and I used a foster bit to cut a clean hole though the wood for this sleeve or bearing.This is were the stainless bolt passes though.I pressed this sleeve into the wood and set it with some sort or glue.
    I never like the way the rudder bolt passes though the fiberglass and foam on my original rudders and wanted something with zero friction and not change size or shape over time.
    Now I started my fiberglass work covered all the wood carefully.This takes time as you can do only one side at a time with it laying flat,elevated on some wood blocks.I clamped clothes pins on the over hanging extra fabric to keep it tight and add weight to stretch that fabric.They looked great and it was fun too.
    The painting also took time as I used a sanding primer.After each coat of primer,you sand it smooth,than re-coat again and again...well you get the picture.The surface developed a mirror like finish.Amazingly smooth.Lay my old rudders next to my new rudders and they look the same..........
    My new rudders are about 5 or 6 years old and I have touched up the paint once,They weigh 2 oz more than my old fiberglass rudders.Being able to fabricate these rudders was a real treat,a fun winter project.I think that I will repeat this project someday but redesign the rudders to something very different and more technical. icon_cool
    Good Day Bill 404 21SE

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad255/Bill404/crawlspacephotos040.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad255/Bill404/October92010034.jpg
    http://i941.photobucket.com/albums/ad255/Bill404/October92010036.jpg

Here is some inspiration for those do it yourselfers............

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • hey Bill is it spring there no snow? the rudders look awesome nice job did you make them the large 21 size for use with a spinaker?
    would love to see more pics of your boat
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • The weather was wonderful today and really windy.Sailing season is almost here.
    Back in '85 when I got my first Hobie 16 and semi-dry suits ,me and my buddies sailed every single month of the year....Those crazy days are often remembered. We were lunatic.Two fun brother,Jack and Dale would wear wool sweaters and bathing suits with no shoes while it snowed...We called them" up hull/ down hull" as one brother would sit on the low side of the boat while the other brother flew a hull.They were true fun devils.....
    I have my daughter down load some photos later icon_cool

Oh,those new home made rudders are about 1/2 inch larger than the originals(on the wear areas),so that over time they can be sanded and repainted as needed and still work well.

Bill 404 21SE

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Take a look at this page. Some good advice on building foils and some how-to videos.

http://www.uk-cherub.org/doku.php/tech/howto

Dave.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Thanks for all the great info guys. I'm sure I'll end up building my own rudders eventually, but I got lucky and found a place using google that ended up having a Trac 16 in their bone yard and got a pair of used rudders with shipping for like $60.

--
    1984 AMF Trac 16, First year of sailing, Central California
    --
  • Bill great job with the replica. I am making a pair of rudder blades for my P19MX, I will use the old style rudder for the template, but go with an approximate new style profile for the length and trailing edge. Cut the blanks last night.(the blank is a very stable hardwood, I rather not say other than it is what I had on hand) the rough dimensions of the Blank are 14"x41"x2.25" I'll get two 1" thick blanks. I hope to finish the blanks tonight and ready them for Glass tomorrow, Might just go with Spar varnish as I need a rudder for the weekend. Glass work and Gel Coating is what winter is for.

--
    See you on the water
    2003 Bimare 18HT solo Sailor
    Formerly P-19MX solo sailor
    Portsmouth RI
    --
  • Blew out a rudder today. Check my post CAT- tastrophy in Seabrook Beach. I thought of a repair but the wood sounds like the way to go. Cool.

--
    The Bone
    H16
    Mass / NH
    --
  • I am building an extra set of mahogany/fiberglass rudders for my 21SE as a fun winter project. Spares are nice! icon_wink

If anyone else needs a set of these large rudders, let me know.

I have built a set a decade ago which I still use each season, so they do hold up well.

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • grayton_sailorCall a guy named Pat at Starboard Marine in Panama City, Fl. I believe he has an old AMF sitting around.

Heck, I even found an old Boston Whaler catamaran in his boneyard. I didn't know they even made one.

Tell me more about the BW SuperCat. What length, condition, and year?

--
    '82 Super Cat 15
    Hull #315
    Virginia
    Previously owned: '70 H14, '79 H16, '68 Sailmaster 26, '85 H14T
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.