Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Tramp maintenance  Bottom

• Does anyone have information on a company that will re-coat tramps? I found some information last year, but lost it...
  • CMartinDoes anyone have information on a company that will re-coat tramps? I found some information last year, but lost it...

The Salvation Army and Catholic Services have been known to re coat tramps.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Need a little more info. Vinyl or mesh, condition etc. Normally a vinyl tramp just needs some armorall and the mesh ones are pretty maintenance free. There are a number of services that will refurbish sails, basically re-empregnate the dacron with resin, but haven't heard of anything similar for trampolines.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • Hey wolfman now come on that was funny

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • golfdad75Hey wolfman now come on that was funny

I found it rather amusing!!!!!!!! LOL
  • guy walks in a hotel asks the clerk if he has a room with 2 queens in it, clerk says yes, guy says "well you gotta get those guys outta there, i gotta check in!"

i recently got my sails re-conditioned at sail care and asked them if they would treat my tramp(mesh) and they said no...so sail care won't do it. i'll be watching this thread to see how it turns out...bad jokes and all icon_wink

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • The Sally Ann quip was actually funny.
    Dave, I would be VERY careful about using armor all on my tramp. Many years ago I raced Can Am motorcross bikes,(another great Bombardier product). The seat was some sort of foam covered with some sort of vinyl. Not being in posession of large amounts of extra cash I decided to "armor all" the seat, so it would last longer. I fired up the beast, & cracked the throttle with the idea of demonstating a 3 gear wheelie to an admiring nubile 16 yr old GF.
    It was an all out racer, had an 1/8th turn throttle. As the wheel came up, I slid back, on the seat that was now slicker than snot. As I slid, the throttle opened more. Through an act of superhuman strength (hey I was young & in good shape then) I hauled myself up what was now a vertical snarling beast, manged to get my feet on the pegs & simultaneously roll off the throttle, stomp the rear brake & grab a fistful of front brake. The beast came down in a microsecond, & despite knees squeezing the tank, I shot forward, over the bars, & in the process gave myself an all time "tank slapper".
    Moral of story...don't armour all ANTHING you need to stick to!

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • QuoteDave, I would be VERY careful about using armor all on my tramp.

I second that, if mesh your tramp will be slick as hell and risk losing crew if not skipper etc

If it's mesh, and if you can easily break threads on your tramp with your fingernail... time for a new tramp or a total restitching.
  • You are correct. I didn't mean the shiny stuff. They have a matte finish version now and a UV protectant (not necessarily armorall brand). Should have chosen my words better. Wouldn't that be fun! Fly the hull and slide right off the boat!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • my tramp is getting old(easy golfdad75) and i was just wanting another season or three...i took it off the boat these past 2 seasons, was looking into re-condition/lovin' this year. ended up putting it in the tub with hot water and laundary detergent, swishing it around, rinse, soaked in tub with fabric softener, rinsed again, took it outside and laced it on the boat. was surprised how dirty it was...the fabric softener left it feeling smoother and looking great. not sure yet if it will launch me into the gulf of mexico or not.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • I have used Spartan Chemical Co((Maumee,Ohio). product,SHINE PLUS for years and really like the results.
    Unfortunately,the janitorial supply business I was getting it from said I needed to order a whole case if I wanted any more.It seems that I was the only one buying this product from them and they couldn't simple get me a few bottles.Currently,I am out of stock. icon_confused
    A little goes a long way too.I would wash off my 1989 Hobie 21SE after each trip to the lake and use Fast Break Orange to clean my tramp ,than dry it and than follow up with the Shine Plus which reconditioned the vinyl.This is what this product is designed to do.Than I would cover my boat until the next outing.
    Before I go to the lake,I wash off this slippery product so not to slide around on the tramp and wings too.I still use my original white tramp but have replaced my wing tramp once and will replace those wing tramps this summer too with a black mesh fabric.
    Check around and see if there is a local janitorial supply house that carries SHINE PLUS and try a bottle for yourself.It cost around $18 a bottle and will last a couple of seasons.
    Good luck,Bill 404 21SE icon_smile

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • The once (so far) I've nearly pitchpoled my Square had to do with Armorall:

I happily slathered my trampoline with the stuff and then a few days later had occasion to sail. It was gusty, so I was at the after corner and kinda hiking in and out, as it wasn't blowing hard enough to trap out.

The Gust of the Day hit me, and Miz V began to drive hard, and I tried to hike outboard. I lost my footing and began to slide to leeward. Concurrently, the boat began to heel higher as I slid leeward.

Yee ha, I'm on the Slip And Slide To Embarrassment.

Fortunately, as I slipped off the lee aft corner, I grabbed the tiller arm which rounded the boat up just in time and she came back flat, although I was off the boat. Husband sailing nearby says, "Yeah, it looked like you meant to do that." NNFY, boy....
  • Remember to wash off Shine Plus prior to using your boat.This product reconditions the "oils" that get lost over time in the vinyl.A quick scrub down will knock off the slipperiness but some will remain absorbed in the vinyl and that will prolong the life and luster of your vinyl tramp.I also use it on my Hobie 16 after market black mess tramp while it is stored in the off season.But again,I always wash it off before use while inspecting the boat.
    Truthfully, I use my 16 only 2 or 3 times times a year and when I uncover it ,it looks great!I used my 21SE 30 times in 2010 but work was slow and I decided to enjoy a "soft economy" and go to the lake.I over came my fear of solo sailing that big boat and found that every single I went to the lake someone would come walking by and help me raise my mast.I keep my 16 for sentimental reasons and hope to someday have new " Orange Crusher " custom made for my little 16.Those where the prettiest sails ever made....
    Good day,Bill 404 21SE icon_cool

--
    Bill 404 21SE
    --
  • Coiastrat, beer is a great conditioner for tramps yours should be fine.

Edited by golfdad75 on Mar 04, 2011 - 07:54 AM.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • YES!!!! TRY UNCLE BILL'S "MARDI GRASS MAJIC" TRAMP CLEANER/CONDITIONER!!!....COMES IN HANDY 12 PACK CONTAINERS!!!....(happy hour prices vary.)

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Oh you mean your trampoline I was talking about your hair. icon_lol

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Too Funny icon_lol

Edited by av8erdunn on Mar 04, 2011 - 04:50 PM.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.