Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

The perfect Cat for Hawaii  Bottom

• Hello all, I am new to the site and have just signed up. My wife and I are moving to Hawaii rather soon. Because of this, I had to sell my 1978 18? SolCat I learned to sail on. And let me tell you, once I learned how, I could really tear it up on a lake with a good wind. So since I am going to an island I would like nothing more than another beach cat. Here is what I am looking for. The SolCat was rather big, and taking it out seemed more like an ?event? that had to be planned. I want something that I could just grab and go, then set it up myself. Hopefully setup will be significantly quicker than the SolCat. The SolCat required at least 2 people to set up but I always preferred 3. That?s another thing; it always required at least 2 people to sail. I want to find something that I could solo, if no one else wants to tag along. But something that would be capable of holding me and a friend, or perhaps the wife if need be. Another concern is I have never sailed in the ocean. I learned and sailed on lakes. I am looking forward to learning how to sail the cat in the surf. I think that might be fun, but I don?t want to get ahead of myself just yet. I was looking at the Hobie wave as a possible candidate. From what I read it is simple to set up, can hold at least a couple of people, and a blast to solo. I am also going to include my height (6? 2?) and weight (225 lbs.) just in case those variables may apply. I appreciate any input and look forward to hearing from you guys.
  • naturally you will be limited to whats available...no trailoring one from california here...that being said, your a perfect candidate for a p-16. i can step the mast by myself, big hulls like heavy seas and higher weights, basic set up and design simplify sailing, no dagger boards to snap off on coral reefs...really likes higher winds, and i regurally smoke the sol cat i see out often. a more stable design than h-16...you have to try hard to pitchpole it. will definitely smoke the hobie wave...probably get a really nice one for 1500$. i absolutely love mine, she can take a beating and smile!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • just a thought...

Not sure if you do more than sail, but IF you do, look at the Hobie Adventure Islands. Not as fast as a true beach cat, but more versatile for fishing, diving etc.
  • Has anyone spent much time with one of those "Adventure Islands?" It seemed attractive to me at first, but the load capacity was listed at about 300 lbs. - not much of a safety margin with me, dive gear, and lunch. And the capacity doesn't increase with the addition of the amas. Then I noticed that in all of their promotional videos it either rides REALLY low in the water, or it's piloted by a 104 lb. model. (Oh... there was a boat in the video?)
    But it does look interesting as a "does everything" boat.
  • I've got two singles and one tandem. If your looking for payload, Id go the tandem route. But even the singles are under-rated it seems with payload capacity. Also they are self bailing, so any water that comes over, just goes right thru - nice! Anyhow, you can put tramps over the akas and have a great platform for riders, pets, whatever. Anyhow - for simple, easy to rig / haul, and versatility - these boats are hard to beat. I fill the need for speed in with a true beach cat. I find myself turning to these little craft so often because they are hassle free.
  • While the P 16 is closer to what I am looking for, I fear it might still be too much of a hassle to assemble and drag down to the beach. I often find myself having to step the mast and then me and all of my friends carrying the thing to the shore. So in that respect the lighter the better. The adventure island will not fit the bill I am looking for. Defiantly want to go with a beach cat of some kind. Thank you for the suggestion though. The boat I end up getting will be used just for the sport of sailing. And I am afraid the SolCat I owned bit me with the speed bug. I am still looking at the wave for its simplicity. I can?t argue with that. Any of you have any experience with the wave?
  • used you'll be limited to what's there already

14' wave pretty bombproof

but quite a step down in performance

if new is affordable

there are a few 14' weta tri in hawaii now

so you at least test sail 1 and see what you think

http://wetajp.com/wp/?page_id=94

edited by: erice, Jul 29, 2010 - 09:13 AM
  • Good point I am defiantly going to be limited by availability on Hawaii. With that being said I would not mind buying used, but new is an option for me. I figured if I found a local dealer I could go through them for whatever I make my mind up on. I presume a large factor on what I might end up purchasing will depend largely on what the local availability is at the time I arrive in Hawaii.
  • Weta is an awesome go fast boat that is easy to assemble. The mast is something like 9 lbs, and from what I've seen here in TX they dont come with a trailer, but a dolly. Here in the states I think they are about 14k. Lots of carbon on that craft! Great idea there erice.
  • Coastrat is right on ! Just get a good set of beach wheels and it's a one person boat. Put a luff feeder on mast, the steel bearing traveler instead of plastic bearings. Get a new tramp with cup holders & buy a good tramp cover. Ball-lock pins for tiller ext, blocks, boom & 6:1 Harkins for Hawaii. Window in new 6 oz jib. Four 9" footloops on gunwale each side for easier beach & trap handling. Couldn't find a better or cheaper boat. Pete
  • Whatever you get just get some Cat trax and moving it will not ever be a problem. P-16 on trax will be plenty easy to move. Even an 18 like your solcat can be solo rigged with the right setup and practice but I agree a smaller one can be easier.

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • Looks like I am going to have to perhaps looking into the P 16. I have heard of the cat trax before and I think that would make moving it a whole lot easier. Does the cat trax system break down to fit on the boat while being trailed? If they don?t, I don?t know where I would keep it.
  • Store them across bows of cat--very easy. Pete
  • I cut up a walmart camp pad into 3 6x10 or so pieces per side and glued them together using some DAP then added 3 more 2x10 strips along each side leave a 2" gap down the long center. I made 2 then I put the trax across the bows like pete says but with the wheel axel fitting into the grooves of the pads. It gives them a little extra padding for trailering to protect the hulls a bit. Then I put ratchet strap in the middle to put a little downward pressure to keep them in place. You don't want to over tighten just enough to keep them there and I recommend loosening the strap when it's just sitting at home

--
    Dustin Finlinson • Magna, UT
    Member: Utah Sailing Association
    1982 Prindle 18
    1986 Hobie 17
    1982 Prindle 16
    1980 Prindle 16(mostly)
    1976 Prindle 16(mostly)

Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook.
    --
  • my cattrax fit under the boat on a piece of plywood on the trailor. just tie them off for travel.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • You might laugh at me for posting in this obviously dead thread, but I thought I would wrap things up. I ended up buying a H21SE and love the thing. And fortunately found some mast up storage close to the water. With that being the case its super easy to rig for sail and get under way.
  • now that's what i call an open mind! congrats! would love to sail hawaii one day...send pics!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.