Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

sail materials  Bottom

• have been reading lots of posts and talking to different sail manufactureres, trying to decide what sail materials would be best for my h21 , what experience have people had with pentex is it that much better performance than racing dacron, and how does it hold up longevity . I have present sails from my h18 that are 30 years old and still sailable. the laminated sails from the 21 are 20 yrs old and delaminating, and not ( repairable?)
    Damon how do you like your pentex from whirlwind, he is no longer making sails personally but merging them into company he is working for and they would be made in the phillipines. how old are they and what shape are they in?
    Thanks in advance for any input or advice
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • I bought a new pentex mainsail for my nacra 6.0 and it lasted only 4 plus years of recreational sailing. Never again, next sail will be a 6 oz. dacron.
  • From what I understand, being 'pentex' or 'mylar' (PEN fiber vs polyester fiber laminates) does have some intrinsic meaning, but the technology involved in assembling the laminate (as a material, not as a sail) progresses all the time, so the newer it is, the longer it may last.

Laminates ARE expensive, though, and I don't plan to ever use them for a jib, unless I go through a serious boat upgrade. For a few hundred bucks a new 5oz dacron jib is a great upgrade every now and then.

--
    Rob
    OKC
    Pile of Nacra parts..
    --
  • I'm on the hunt for a new jib myself. A fellow cat sailor on our beach bought a (dacron) jib and pentex main from [http://www.whirlwindsails.com] the are really nice. Committee is still out on how well they will hold up. Main is 2 seasons old and still looks brand new, but this guys only sails 15 times all summer.

My dacron jib window finally exploded. Can be repaired but ... it's time. I have contacted [http://www.kellyhansonsails.com/] but they did not get back to me.

My boat is a 1997 Nacra Inter 18. An F-18 and one-design yes, but seriously... you wouldn't race a 1997 boat against a new Infusion or C2. So I'm not paying for a one-design sail. Some sail maker needs to recognize this market. There are a ton of old Nacra's and Hobie Tigers. All needing sails real soon.

Edited by nhanson on Feb 19, 2011 - 05:27 PM.

--
    nacra inter-18
    CNBP
    --
  • I would stay far away from kelly hanson for sail repairs.

I had a main "repaired" by them and the work was terrible. Sewed through batten pockets, forgot to put the bolt rope in the lower 12 inches of the sail, charged for work not done.

I had to pay a local sail loft to fix their mistakes.

Edited by bfoxg8r1 on Feb 20, 2011 - 10:08 AM.
  • 1. Generally speaking, laminates perform better but don't hold up as well as Dacron. Your treatment of the sail makes a huge difference in longevity. Store in at least somewhat climate controlled conditions. Release the batten tension if stored for any length of time (longer than a couple weeks). You roll laminates up and flake Dacron. It's also important to wash sails, something people tend not to do.

2. Part of the price you pay for a sailmaker's service is advice on just what you're asking.

3. There are "cruising oriented" laminates: Hydranet, "soft-finish" Kevlar layups from Contender, I'm sure there are others. Consult your sailmaker.

4. Did I say, find a sailmaker you trust and go with his advice?
  • Quote Did I say, find a sailmaker you trust and go with his advice?

thanks for the advice that makes sence to me....
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • Tami- Hydranet looks very interesting, but I can't find any info on strength, weight, stretch, etc.

The reality is, all of these high-tech laminates, no matter the scrim, are laminated with thin film polyethylene. Though it's gotten better over the years, the film hates UV and hates to be folded. On a long enough time/use line, it'll fail far before dacron will ever need replaced. So the question to ask yourself is: Do you want high-tech, lightweight sails that will require replacing sooner, or do you sacrifice performance/weight for longevity? All that really equates to, how much money do you want to spend?
  • headhunter what is the materials on your sail in your avatar, sharp looking sails.
    Ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • Thanks! They're 20 year old wide weave mylar from North (and about completely shot). But they look awesome from about 50 feet.
  • I'm coming late to this thread but I will put my 2 cents in. I LOVE my 5 oz Dacron main from Whirlwind. I hope Chip still continues to design and spec his sails the same. His work is top notch and his sails are way better than I would have expected for the price. I got a traditionally cut flat top (X2) and the performance boost was amazing. In hindsight I probably should have gone with the tri-radial cut (Super R). Laminates are good for mains but I would stay away from them for a jib, which tends to take a beating, you will be replacing the jib every other season if you sail with any regularity.

That being said unless you plan on racing fairly competatively it is probably not worth the extra cost over dacron (my opinion). The the effect of lowered weight aloft is not a huge factor unless you also have a light mast and rigging, but the reduced stretch will add a little more power regardless.

Regards,
    Dave

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.