Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

West system injection i need some expert advise  Bottom

• Coast Rat
    Thank you for your help so far. I have a couple more questions.
    1. The front decks are in great shape no stress cracks but it is totally delaminated on both sides almost to the tip the dimensions of the the delamination are 3.10 feet long on both sides and almost to the edges of the hull. Do you think the area is to big to do the west system injection?
    2. Will it add to much weight to the front end?
    3. and im guesing it is going to take a gallon each side?
    4. what is the distance from the foam to the glass the gap in between? when i press down it feels like a quarter inch.

Thank you
  • http://www.hobiecat.com/s…/support/tech/delam.html

Drill hole in 1st layer of fiberglass, take a long thin metal probe and insert, push down through foam untill you "feel" 2nd layer of fiberglass, mark depth on probe, measure depth of probe and transfer measurement to drill bit, put tape around bit above mark, tape must prevent drill bit from penetrating 2nd layer of fiberglass. If 2nd layer is holed, all your epoxy will drain through hole into hull, a bit of an inconvenience, do not hole the 2nd layer. Start at hole highest point, as epoxy leaks out lower "breather" holes, tape hole closed, continue untill all holes are filled, you will not use a gallon of epoxy.

Thickness of foam sandwiched between layers of fiberglass, approx 1/4 inch, so tape on drill tip will be less than 1/4 inch.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Quoteyou will not use a gallon of epoxy.

tru dat...

you will add a small/negligable weight...

my repair spot was the same size as yours...turned out fine!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Right'cheer at theBeachcats

http://www.thebeachcats.com/news/87/catamaran-sailboats-delamination-repair-instructions/
  • tami's link is right on...except the part about big de-lams, mine was over 3' and went from both sides like yours. west system is damn fine product, adding the filler don't hurt either...my buddie just reminded me about the west system in a caulk tube/gun setup with disposeable tips...just gun it into the holes til it flows out the surroundin holes. start at the lowest point of the repair and work your way up so gravity helps prevent voids. filler is nice but not totaly necessary, i just used bondo/3m brand resin from lowes. i used west w/filler on all hull repairs=bulletproof!!! the gun would definetly save a boat load of time/mess though.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.