Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Dart 18 Lightweight Righting  Bottom

• Hey All,

I was hoping someone could give me some tips on how to right my Dart 18 after a capsize (solo). When I first got the boat I was 13st 7lbs, but I've lost a lot of weight since (now 10st 5lbs). At the heavier weight I found it effortless.

I had an incident last November out in a force 6 single handed (drag racing a mate) where I had gone into irons for a short rest and a wind shift caught me by surprise and the boat capsized. I couldn't right it no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't even point the nose into the wind. With the help of a good friend I got back inshore and the coast guard later retrieved my boat but this has left me worried that if it were to happen again could I cope?

Are there any tips on getting the boat back over for lightweights like myself should it happen again?

Many thanks - Trev
  • I built one and I'm a big fan.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hCbihZsXESg

while he's kind of got things "prepped" for making this video, like his righting line just happens to be tied to the stern that will be in the air... but the concept is great, and it works. build a longer pole so you don't go down into the water with it and have to keep pulling and reeling in the righting line...

also, look in this beachcat websites photo albums, there's photos of rigging and construction.

-rob

Edited by robpatt on Jan 14, 2011 - 10:16 AM.
  • trvoHey All,
    QuoteA force 6 wind is 25-31 mph, the boat should have came up like a rocket, and probably continued flipping to the outher side.

I was hoping someone could give me some tips on how to right my Dart 18 after a capsize (solo). When I first got the boat I was 13st 7lbs, but I've lost a lot of weight since (now 10st 5lbs). At the heavier weight I found it effortless.

I had an incident last November out in a force 6 single handed (drag racing a mate) where I had gone into irons for a short rest and a wind shift caught me by surprise and the boat capsized. I couldn't right it no matter how hard I tried. I couldn't even point the nose into the wind. With the help of a good friend I got back inshore and the coast guard later retrieved my boat but this has left me worried that if it were to happen again could I cope?

Are there any tips on getting the boat back over for lightweights like myself should it happen again?

Many thanks - Trev

trvoHey All,

Many thanks - Trev
  • hey trev I bet you love the dart 18 i had one back in like 1983 when I weighed 150 lbs and for the life of me singlehanded i could not right it i needed about another 20 lbs and it would have been easy I would be able to just about get the mast tip out of the water and that was it. I would try a righting bag and read alll the post on here about righting. i am heavyer myself now so it wouldnt be an issue...
    Great light boat have fun
    ted

--
    Ted
    Hobie 21SE Feral Cat
    Upstate NY lake sailing
    --
  • Cheers Rob, looks like just what I need although in the rough seas I'm not sure how easy it'll be to use, I'll see what I can rig up.

Hullflyer, that used to be the case when I was a bit heavier, but I was just too light this time, I tried the righting bag and even resorted to using my drinks bottle as extra ballast but nothing worked.

Ted, yes, I love it, great fun and easy to sail... I have my heart set on getting a Shadow later this season to replace it though.

Thanks everyone for your help!

Trev

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.