Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Nacra 18m2  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

• Wow- Force 5 on smooth water???? I'm jealous! If I had read more carefully, I would have realized that you are sailing single-handed. I understand not having the hands for the tiller, mainsheet and the righting line all at once. You have big huevos to use the open-type trap hook single-handed!
    When you set your jib blocks to a static position (by eliminating the 4 way hardware), how far inboard of the hull did you put the blocks? I could see putting them 9 inches/23cm inboard and using the Barber Hauler to trim it out under heavy air and/or running off the wind. Have you found a better way?
    Sheet in!
    Bob

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • Yes, its fun to sail on smooth water, I live in Amsterdam, the Netherlands and keep my cat at Uitdam on the Markermeer. Its an old inland sea wich they closed with dykes in the early 1900's . There is a stretch about 10 Km long from Marken to Amsterdam where you can sail right behind the dyke, just far enough out to catch the wind but
    not the waves with strong westerly winds, which are common overhere. You can check it out on googlemaps.

So, what are Huevos? Checked it out in a English dictionary and later found it is a Spanish word.....
    I use an open hook because its safe and not to difficult to unhook in stressful situations, problems occur
    while going in and out when the ring snaps loose. Solved this by knotting 1 meter of shockcord to the trapeze-ring and attached the cord to the trapeze-wire with a couple of tie-wraps glue and some tape. Did put a piece of gardenhose around it so there's no cords flying around and I can grab it without hurting myself . Now there is tension on the ring going in and out.

The jib-blocks are not in a static position , they are attached to the standard track on the p18-2. Moving the
    blocks forward provides a bigger slot upwind in heavy weather.

I'm still thinking how to use the old bauberhaul-system to trim the jib in . It means al lot more of control-lines and being a soloist it hasnt come to me yet.

Since I did put a spi-pole on the 18-2 , and bought a second-hand spi from a F18 class, downwind sailing is more
    than a handfull. I just leave the jib sheeted in and control the spi-sheet with one hand and the helm/mainsheet from
    the other. Never think about jib settings downwind.
    To be honest I never used the spi config above 2/3 Bf and have to figure out how to get the spi back in the snufferbag within seconds, but I am working on that.

So, soloing on a budget behind a dyke, fall is kicking in fast and I don't think there's a lot spinnaker reaching left.
    With my dry-suit I'm gonna be sailing till the lake freezes over and let you know about downwind tweaking .

Sorry for my English

Regards, Andre

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • QuoteSince I did put a spi-pole on the 18-2 , and bought a second-hand spi from a F18 class, downwind sailing is more
    than a handfull.

I've been following along and would love to see some set up pictures of this as well as some in action shots if you have them..

I just added a spi pole but only have a jib for it right now. I was wondering if it is even feasible if not usable. Light wind inland lake.

--
    NACRA 18 SQ uared

Okanagan, BC, Can
    --
  • @ nl-expatriate
    mine 18-2 is a Prindle 18-2, NOT a Nacra 18sqm !
    Started this post because I was interested in Nacra 18sqm, that deal
    went bad and I decided to give my Prindle 18-2 a complete overhaul.

Regards, A

--
    Tornado (80's Reg White)
    Prindle 18-2 (sold)
    Dart 16 (hired and hooked)
    13 mtr steel cutter (sold)
    Etap 22, unsinkable sailing pocket cruiser.

Amsterdam, the Netherlands
    --
  • QuoteSo, what are Huevos?

On the menu in all Spanish restaurants, eggs. In this case a substitute for another Spanish slang term, cojones...as in, Balls, man, you got big balls.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Andre,
    Don't be apologizing for your English- it is well done, and much better than my Netherlandic Hollands. And yes, I was admiring your courage (big huevos) about single-handing with that open trap hook. I have one too, and I make very sure my bungee is tight and in good shape before I sail, but I have a crew to come get me if (when) disaster strikes.
    In other news, There are tuning sheets for the P18-2 for different points of sail that give settings for standing and running rigging. They were written by one of the most successful sail-making houses that also raced the 18-2. They are here: http://www.catsailor.com/forums/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=178953 Who knows, you might find a go fast tweak in there somewhere.
    A 10 km beam reach run that blows Force 5 over smooth water. That might just be enough to get me to ship my cat over the Atlantic! Don't I wish...
    Sheet in!
    Bob

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.