Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Hobie vs Prindle  Bottom

• Can some one tell me the pro and cons and compare the 16's and 18's

Edited by golfdad75 on Nov 27, 2010 - 12:05 PM.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Both 16.s have 26 ft masts. H-16¨s weigh 340 (only the newer 2000 models are 320. P-16s weigh 300. H-16 has 218 sq ft while P-16 has 190 sq ft sail area. P-16s have loose footed booms while H-16 has footed boom---means you are lifting the boom with last 3 ft when raising the main. Means you´re always carrying the boom around when you´re stowing sails. H-16 jib is larger and battened & always snagging the main halyard with batten ends in light air. P-16 jib is sheeted further aft cluttering tramp a bit more. Main difference in boats is far more volume in P-16 curbing the pitchpole tendency on a reach in heavier air. P-16 is also stiffer boat with croosbeab connection as opposed to 3 point coint connection at each corner. Rudders on H-16 were lexan for many years and could break in a day or last 10 years, but most racers opt for the after market EPO black fiberglas rudders. P-16 rudders are fiberglas & seldom break although are more complicated to adjust. Harken blocks were standard on P-16. Seaways were on all early H-16s though they now come with Harken. Hobie will take a P-16 in light air due to more sail area though went it blows they´re very even. Prindles are not made any more as Hobie racing fleets have carried their marketing forward. If you´re crew weight is under 300 #s or beter at 275, very tough to beat a P-16 as a single-hander or crewed boat. I´ll let someone else address the asymetrical P-18 vs the daggerboard H-18. Pete
  • this is my second season with the p-16 after a life long hobie association. still haven't flipped the p-16, over 40 days of sailing. the only things i like better about the hobie 16 is light wind/down wind and fleet racing. i'm useually the only p-16 in the race and they lump me in the open non spin class b with all the h-18's, p-18's, and misc nacra while 20 hobie 16's race each other. the hobie is dryer being higher off the water though but overall the prindle is a better design.

still haven't sailed a p-18 and haven't sailed a h-18 since 1984, so can't comment on them. thought i'd be upgrading to a more modern boat by now but love the p-16 for the simplicity and quick trailor to water set up time. i don't recommend this but one time we had five adults,ice chest,tent,and beach chairs on the boat coming in from deer island and still had some hulls out of the water.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Boy you know the season is over when that post gets 2 comments.

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • yup...better tighten that5.2 on up...if you wanna keep up w/tha prindles...

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • golfdad75Boy you know the season is over when that post gets 2 comments.

icon_lol icon_lol
    That is so true. That would have slowed down Damon's server in the summer!! I have to admit i havent stopped by for over a week. I know the H18 is feeling neglected. Im feeling neglected.

Hey Coastrat have started to break down the pale bannanas?

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • hope to break it down later this week, get a 15% discount from sail care if i get the sails to them before dec. 15. would like to get started a little earlier this time so i'm not putting the boat back together the day of the sos regatta...should have named the boat "wet paint" for that one...the plan is to have the boat as close to 100% going into winter next year so i can be ready for those 78 degree winter days we get often...it will get cold for a few days at a time then "BAM" suntan weather again. the water gets so much clearer and the camping is much nicer when the bugs are gone. went out to west ship island last monday and had a blast...would rather not break it down and keep sailing but pressing sail repairs must be dealt with!!!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • QuoteThat is so true. That would have slowed down Damon's server in the summer!! I have to admit i havent stopped by for over a week. I know the H18 is feeling neglected. Im feeling neglected.

i check in 2-3 times a week. this is my first post in over 2 months. the topics are just not interesting. although today i did get some new neoprene gloves in the mail and that stohlquist jacket. until April...

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Quotei did get some new neoprene gloves in the mail and that stohlquist jacket. until April...

What gloves did you get? I was just on the San Francisco bay for a sail with some friends last week and it was just a little chilly. Now looking for neoprene sailing gloves. I found some Gill extreme gloves I was pondering. My boat has been put away for months now, but good to have family in warmer climates : )

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • http://www.amazon.com/NeoSport-Wetsuits-Premium-Neoprene-Finger/dp/B00266F2PE/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1291130945&sr=8-2

theres the link to my gloves. 3mm thick enough for warmth thin enough for flexibility. the water is always cold in California. see you at the hawks game finley

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • These are the gloves I was looking at.

http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?catalogId=10001&storeId=11151&partNumber=10994424&langId=-1

I like the fact they have a sailing glove palm to help with durability. They are 1.5mm. I thought that would be better then my current 3/4 finger synthetic glove with no insulation. We were in drysuits, but that doesn't help your hands any.

BTW this was somewhat relevant to this thread, since we were sailing 3 H18's with wings on the bay last week. Nice to be high and mostly dry. I personally love the H18 wings. Never sailed a P18, so can't compare the two boats, but for recreational sailing the wings are awesome if you can find them.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • those gloves look nice and durable. mine have a cincher around the wrist. but you wont need it if you have sleeves. i would love to get my hands on some wings. but they're so dang expensive. somebody needs to make some home made ones and sell them to people like me with old wingless h18s. they sell for nearly 1000 thats nearly what i paid for my boat

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.