Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

What Winter Projects Do You Have?  Bottom

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 [+1]:

• DamonLinkous
    presto99Hobie 18: Replace both hulls. Fix rudders, clean up daggers. Paint

Both hulls? What happend!

Apparently my theory on the colored hulls not failing was wrong.
    We were sailing in a distance race on October 1. Wind was 18-20 and gusty, bay was choppy. We almost capsized (75~80 degrees of heel) with 470 lbs of crew.

7 miles out, on a broad reach, the boat was slowing down, handling funny and then tried to pitchpole. We dumped the jib, no effect, dumped main, bow came back up slowly. My crew (dad) and I looked at each other and said at the same time "the port hull is full of water". We tried to tack back to the beach but the leeward hull was still filling, and killed our momentum, so I gybed, it was a little busy in the back office, and I managed to slow the boom down by letting the main sheet hit my life jacket. Didn't hurt, and kept some stress off the rig. That put the flooded hull to windward, and we stayed on the leeward side of the boat, sailed for an hour, and made it back.

When we got to the beach, I popped the inspection port and saw that we had about 3 inches of air space left in the hull. The boat was still in water, but I pulled the plug to get some weight off so we could get wheels under it. The flow of water blew the plug out of my hand, and off the tether. 45 minutes to drain hull after we got it on the beach.

Took boat home rinsed it off, then inspected boat found cracks in both hulls at forward beam, port hull had crack at aft beam and in top of dagger trunk. We also had some delamination, behind daggers. We were going to beef up the forward beam, fix delamination, paint boat, and perform IRAN this winter.

Found two white hulls from an '88 on CL for a decent price, bought them, sold my hulls to a guy building an electric boat(????) so now I am going to fix forward beams, some cosmetic issues, and rebuild.

--
    Jeff
    Houston TX
    1986 Hobie 18 Sail# 13031
    --
  • pirateboy dont paint your hulls in my experience painting is the lazy way out and youre just going to have to repaint every other year or so or more if u like beaching the cat or use it alot! heres the solution and it will save you some cash! go to your closest major fiberglass supplier ie. not west marine their is distributors all over or go online to fiberglassflorida.com and order from their but anyway get 1 gallon of polyester gelcoat white of course not the tooling. then 1 gallon of durtatec clear high gloss additive mix these 2 together equal parts 1:1 if you want a diffrent color than pure white mix in the pigment now you can usually get it all in the same place you buy your gelcoats and resins anyway back to the project once everything is mixed 1:1 go buy a cheap vertical drop spray gun from harbor freight or discount auto 15 bucks is usually what they cost. now sand the boat down nice and smooth fill in cracks and make repairs as needed once done wipe boat with acetone and clean rag. now mix up a batch of the 1:1 mix with your catalyst use a measuring device dont eye ball it youll probably end up kicking the gelcoat to fast and ruin you spray gun if you eye ball the measurments. now spray your hull nice and neat any runs sand down and do 4 or 5 coats. of this or more if u want each gallon will do 100sq ft so 2 gallons which you will have will do 200sq ft more than any beach cat by about 8x . now once you got your coats done sand out inperfections do touch up and go sail !!! the gallon of gelcoat will be 40bucks the duratec about 90 the spray gun 15 plus cups ect probably around 200 bucks and youll do it the right way if you got questions call me i do fiberglass for a living! email and ill send you my number if needed zachhansman89@yahoo.com
  • ps the duratec thins out the gelcoat thin enough to go through any spray gun it also strength to the gelcoat its the good stuff!
  • zachhansman89pirateboy dont paint your hulls in my experience painting is the lazy way out and youre just going to have to repaint every other year or so or more if u like beaching the cat or use it alot! heres the solution and it will save you some cash! go to your closest major fiberglass supplier ie. not west marine their is distributors all over or go online to fiberglassflorida.com and order from their but anyway get 1 gallon of polyester gelcoat white of course not the tooling. then 1 gallon of durtatec clear high gloss additive mix these 2 together equal parts 1:1 if you want a diffrent color than pure white mix in the pigment now you can usually get it all in the same place you buy your gelcoats and resins anyway back to the project once everything is mixed 1:1 go buy a cheap vertical drop spray gun from harbor freight or discount auto 15 bucks is usually what they cost. now sand the boat down nice and smooth fill in cracks and make repairs as needed once done wipe boat with acetone and clean rag. now mix up a batch of the 1:1 mix with your catalyst use a measuring device dont eye ball it youll probably end up kicking the gelcoat to fast and ruin you spray gun if you eye ball the measurments. now spray your hull nice and neat any runs sand down and do 4 or 5 coats. of this or more if u want each gallon will do 100sq ft so 2 gallons which you will have will do 200sq ft more than any beach cat by about 8x . now once you got your coats done sand out inperfections do touch up and go sail !!! the gallon of gelcoat will be 40bucks the duratec about 90 the spray gun 15 plus cups ect probably around 200 bucks and youll do it the right way if you got questions call me i do fiberglass for a living! email and ill send you my number if needed zachhansman89@yahoo.com

PUNCTUATE!

--
    Philip
    --
  • Well, looks like that bottom job will have to wait until springhttp://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=83084&g2_serialNumber=3Guess I'll have to break out the Foxpro and the coyote rifle...what....you think I'm going to sit here and watch sailing videos all winter???
  • One of my winter projects is to put new seals (all five) on my two drysuits. Parts and glue look to be about $140 per suit. Anyone have a preferred vendor?

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • I am going to blend two H17s. Many of the parts I want to keep are on the hulls that need to be structurally corrected. I have two very solid hulls that need a bottom job, just a bit too many beach scratches. I want to do the gel coat on the bottoms only. There are not many scratches on the sides. I am also concerned about weight. I am hoping to apply new gelcoat to the bottoms and about 6 inches up each side of each hull. I will try to mask and then blend the new gel up the sides. zachhansman89 gives good advise on spraying the whole bottom of the hulls. Do you think it makes since to do just the bottoms and a little up the sides? It is extra work with masking and blending the spray. But then I don't need to prep the entire bottom and sides.

Also looking at new wing tramps and main sheet.

Steve
    H17 x2

--
    Steve
    H14, H16, H17
    --
  • I'm getting the A cat painted and I'm putting a spinnaker on my Supercat 15. I'm also working on a 48" X 48" RC trimaran. Pictures will definitely follow...
  • I bought new sails for the P18, should have them in January. I will hold them in my lap lovingly, stroking them with abandon, waiting for April.
    I am on my third 1980s era boat, and these are my first new sails ever. Square tops too. I crawled away from Hobie 16s in previous years, hope I can smoke them now. Woohoo.
  • Also getting new sails. For my P19.

Local sailloft (mariner-sails) is thrilled that they get to build something cool instead of typical white monohull sails.

https://fbcdn-sphotos-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/s720x720/377972_10150406026268116_256808893115_8373152_1267043184_n.jpg

--
    Uwe
    94 Prindle 19 - "überKat"
    DFW, TX
    --
  • new standing rigging, some fresh lines here and there, new fasteners for crossbars and rudder gudgeons, mild tramp repairs, waterproof vhf, and a few things i haven't planned on(of course!)...LOOK OUT DAUPHIN ISLAND RACE!!!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • uhAlso getting new sails. For my P19.
    Local sailloft (mariner-sails) is thrilled that they get to build something cool instead of typical white monohull sails.

Looking sexy, Uwe!!!

--
    Sheet In!
    Bob
    _/)_____/)_/)____/)____/)_____/)/)__________/)__
    Prindle 18-2 #244 "Wakizashi"
    Prindle 16 #3690 "Pegasus" Sold (sigh)
    AZ Multihull Fleet 42 member
    (Way) Past Commodore of Prindle Fleet 14
    Arizona, USA
    --
  • [quote=klozhald]
    uhAlso getting new sails. For my P19.

Mine will be (mostly) dark blue on the top and bottom, with a white, red, white panels in the middle. Inspired by the letter C:

http://www.marinewaypoints.com/learn/flags/charlie.gif

Edited by kgatesman on Dec 14, 2011 - 05:55 PM.
  • gonna name the boat HARRY CAREY?...."what's your favorite planet?...mine's the sun!"

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • That skit is one of Will Ferrell's all time best! Boats-n-Hos!

--
    Hank, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, P16 - "Sideways"
    --
  • 1. trying to figure out how to make my 30 year old gelcoat on the hobie 16 i have owned for 25 years to shine.
    2. flat tire on trailer
    3. one of the rudder cams needs replacing

the fun to cost ratio for this boat has been incredible. i imagine at some time i will get something faster, after my youngest loses interest, i know i can still rig and sail this one by myself.

banana yellow with orange crush sail.

oh and i have a couple of monohulls i need to have ready by the spring, a laser and a banshee.

--
    Kenneth Purdy
    Hobie 16
    Nacra 5.2 (2)
    Banshee
    First Coast, Florida
    --
  • Fix my rudders, fix various dings, gelcoat, get a real trailer instead of a homemade one and install portholes. Oh yeah, a new mast would be fantastic!

--
    Griff
    Hobie 16
    Tuscaloosa, Alabama
    --
  • I'm posting this up just for the satisfaction of coming back in May and adding "Done" next to all of this. I was given a "free" P16 that is in pretty good shape but sat under a tree and tarp since 1995. So here is my extensive list of reviving a classic.

Hulls
    Delam both sides rear x member to rudders
    Keels epoxy and glass
    topside / side gouges fill and fare
    One deep nick silver dollar size - epoxy from outside add glass from the inside since I can reach it
    Replace Inspection ports
    Paint or Gel Coat- I want to keep it powder blue so still thinking
    replace plugs

Sails / Tramp - Already at sailmaker
    Jib -new zipper
    Main/Jib restitch pin hole repair
    Tramp / Patch
    Battens repair or replace cracked ones. I'm leaning towards replacing the longest and cutting down the rest.

Rigging
    Standing - order new
    Running - Order new- Sta-Set + Salsa Main sheet ( still thinking on this one) + main Halyard wire
    Traps - New wire / shock cord / blocks
    Tramp lace kit
    Hawaiian Righting system + bag

Blocks
    Mashead Sheves - Replaced
    Main / jib clean and lube

Spars & Cross Members
    water test for leaks
    replace nylon ball joint
    replace mast cleat
    re-rivit traveler to x member
    Re-tighten / Check / Adjust Dolphin striker

Rudders
    Fare a few nicks
    Paint
    Replace Port casting
    Re-reg up down lines / replace sheves
    free up SS pintles in Aluminum gudgeons
    tiller extension - home brew for now

Trailer
    Sand / repaint
    Rewire
    Repack/ replace bearings
    Mast caddy / Mast Crutch Fix/ repaint - Done

DMV
    Register / Insure

Other odds and ends
    Rescue knife(s)
    waterproof blue tooth speakers. Keep the droid in the hulls and tunes on the tramp.
    Trap Harness - Maybe by the end of the season

Plus everything else I forgot.

April / May is going to be a marathon to get this all done by Memorial Day, but I got my wetsuit ready to roll and 4 months to plan and prepare. I see the most major task as being the hulls, specifically painting - I really wish I had a garage.

Needless to say I've got a spreadsheet running with all my needed parts / measurements and a growing pile of parts in the basement.

--
    Bob Miller
    1983 P16 Sail # 7312
    "Miller Time" A work in progress; out of the water for 16 years
    Barnegat Bay NJ
    Beach Cat Lesson #1 - A free cat isn't
    Find more Prindles on Facebook https://www.facebook.com/groups/173120656090532/
    --
  • Nice list Bob, you are going to be busy!

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • A late summer project ended up being an early winter project, now it's too cold for my crew. Added a spin to my N500, ordered from Nacra. Also wanting to add updated graphics to the boat.

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x377/Lakewateree/3a2ff64e.png

http://i1178.photobucket.com/albums/x377/Lakewateree/4dbdd683.png

--
    Mac
    Midlands South Carolina
    AHPC Viper USA 366
    A Cat USA 366
    Super Cat 17
    --

Go to page [-1] 1 - 2 - 3 - 4 - 5 [+1]:

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.