--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • I'm in Columbia and sail on Lake Murray. Don't know any spots on HH. I have some knowledge fo the IOP/Charleston area.

--
    Gray Amick
    Chapin, SC
    '77 NACRA 5.2
    --
  • Gray, did you ever find a replacement 1 1/4" mast ball? I have one that came with a bunch of spare parts I picked up. It is well used, but would work in a pinch. You can have it if it is of any use to you. PM me if you want it.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • gcamick, check PM!

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • Ground Control to all sailors in the Hilton Head Area, come in please!

director anyone out there?

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • No reply on my post! so were going to HHI on vacation, last time here island shut down for winter, nothing going on, nada nix, no cats for rental. So this time I decide to trailer my new P18 down, bad mistake, turns out the new cat and trailer are way too heavy even for a 4.0L motor. Get as far as St Louis and decide to dump cat & trailler at a friends place, go from averaging 10 mpg up to 26 mpg. Get to HHI on Fri 24th, beautiful weather, temps in upper 60"s, Fri & Sat. Sunday temps drop and by Mon down into the 30's, what a bummer, good thing I did not bring the cat. Temps slowly start creeping up again, Fri 31st is predicted to hit 69F and Sat to hit 71F, just when we're leaving.

Always sems to happen to me, how about U?

wallbash

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --
  • was in miami for christmass few years ago and temps hit a record low(~40f), they were freaking out!!! needles to say south beach didn't have as much skin showing as it useually does...

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • turbohoboSo this time I decide to trailer my new P18 down, bad mistake, turns out the new cat and trailer are way too heavy even for a 4.0L motor. Get as far as St Louis and decide to dump cat & trailler at a friends place, go from averaging 10 mpg up to 26 mpg.

If you don't mind me asking what kind of vehicle were you towing with and through what type of terrain? I have towed my P18 from central ARK to FLA with my 1.8 L Pontiac Vibe loaded down with my wife's junk for a week at the beach. I loose some gas mileage down to about 26-28 from 33-34 avg and run about 65-70mph. The auto trans downshift a lot more on grades especially in cruise control but it is definitely manageable. I wouldn't use my car to tow my P18 in the mountains but for rolling hills and flatland it is fine. Do you think your issue is weight or wind drag?
  • I have a new Chrysler T&C, 4.0 L. It was a little of both I guess, there was a good headwind and I had attached a cargo carrier to the trailer in which I stored my toolbox and spare parts just in case of problems with either trailer or cat, an additional 150 lbs, trailer has a sailbox in which all sailing gear was stowed. I had changed out all bearings on the trailer hubs in anticipation of a long trip but I was still surprised at how much the tranny and motor was laboring, I used to trailer my H16 with a 3.3L van no problems and assumed that the 4.0L motor would easily handle the additional weight of the P18 and heavier trailer.

Another factor might have been that the front mast holder on the P18 lifted the mast much higher than my old H16, might have created more drag? I just did not have the time to explore all options as it was almost midnight, so just called up a buddy in the St Louis area and dropped the cat off. I had estimated that the vehicle would be down to 18 mpg towing and had worked a budget for fuel on that estimate, but when it got down to 8-10 mpg it was a no go. The terrain was mostly flat with some rolling hills, I took I-70 E to St Louis, I-64 E to I-57 S, branched off on I-24 S through Nashville to Chattanooga, I-75 S through Atlanta to Macon and I-16 SE to Savannah, some major hills through Chattanooga but mostly undulating terrain. You would think a 4.0L would handle that terrain easy huh.

So you got 26-28 mpg towing your P18 with a 1.8L Pontiac Vibe? I was getting that coming back from HHI with a wind pushing from behind with no tow.

--
    TurboHobo
    H14T
    H16
    P18
    G-Cat 5.0
    P16
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.