Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Weather  Bottom

• Should i believe http://Weather.com or wunderground.com?

One forcast say's 18mph for caterwaul this weekend,
    And another say's 6mph...i do not know what to believe.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Go with the one that gives you what you want to hear icon_lol

I like Wunderground.

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --
  • it's good to see different forecasts as it can give you a better range of wind

i have been very closely following forecasts for wind for the past 6 years and usually they are close but sometimes very wrong.

i think its more important to know when fronts are moving through, and when there is a good chance for thunderstorms..
  • I also use sailflo.com in the mix of the forcast voodoo.
  • turtlecatI also use sailflo.com in the mix of the forcast voodoo.

Do you mean sailflow.com ? BTW thanks for the links. I have been using weather.com exclusively but more info is better.
  • i use iwindsurf.com which is the same engine as sailflow
    i also use local radar from our local news
    i also use noaa sites
  • i use the weather channel online and get the marine forcast...they are almost always different. they got it all, tides, wind direction maps, near coastal forcast and so on. i always check in on my noaa weather bouys for real time and historical wind speed and direction to see which forcast have been accurate in the past day or so...twc will forcast say 5-10kt winds but the bouys will show 12-15kts and so on...i also like the interactive map.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • ~~ I stick my head out the door & a wet finger in the air icon_biggrin icon_cool icon_lol icon_razz icon_wink

--
    ~ Vietnam Vet 69-71~ 17 Hobie w/big jib, ~18 Hobie mag,~DN Ice sailor,
    and other toys.......
    ~~ I live in NY state on the north shore of Oneida lake in
    Bernhards Bay. ~~~~~~
    --
  • coastrati use the weather channel online and get the marine forcast...they are almost always different. they got it all, tides, wind direction maps, near coastal forcast and so on. i always check in on my noaa weather bouys for real time and historical wind speed and direction to see which forcast have been accurate in the past day or so...twc will forcast say 5-10kt winds but the bouys will show 12-15kts and so on...i also like the interactive map.

I like your thoughts.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • I use a combination of intellicast's WINDcast, NOAA nearshore marine forecast and weather bouys / webcams. I have an hour drive to get to the water, so I try to see what it is going to be like before going.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • the main thing i'm looking for on the 10 day marine forcast is wind! i will adjust my scedule to accomadate a 15-20 or 20-25 kts day. small craft warnings get me excited and speek to me in the language of love. 5-7' seas get me giddy/www.thebeachcats.com/modules/bbsmile/pnimages/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif" alt="icon_biggrin" /> " rel="lightbox">/www.thebeachcats.com/modules/bbsmile/pnimages/smilies/icon_biggrin.gif" alt="icon_biggrin" /> " alt=" icon_biggrin " width="250"/>

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • As long as you realize the 10 day forecast is a thrown dart. The fact is anything beyond 3 days should be taken with a shovelful of salt.
    One of the guys I teach skiing with works for the weather network. He told me they got rid of the 14 day outlook because its accuracy was abysmal. John Q Public bitched so much they started to lose advertising, so they put it back in. Of course it's still a wild guess, but hey most of the public has no idea what anything on a weather map means anyway.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • lately here its been right on but we have had the same weather for a month now. between the satellite/doplar,marine forcast,the guy on the skinnard station,hubble space feed,and the swollen ice chest, we useually go anyway! hell, if it storms it's a bonus! free entertainment!!!

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Hey BIll going tomorrow?

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • sunday sunday sunday for us, have to work(4letter word)saturday.

--
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    --
  • Between work and other commitments, I usually go whenever I have a free weekend, don't pay much attention to the weather as that will not change my mind anyway. Besides, sometimes they are wrong and I'd hate to be stuck in jakarta if a decent wind sprung up and I wasn't there to take advantage of it.
  • I agree with popey, but i use weather.com to get a general idea. Rule of thumb is know your local climate. There are certain days of the week that just seem to be more windy like weds. Another good measurement to look at is the barometric pressure when this starts to fall dramatically that usually means weather aka wind is in full effect. although with a high pressure weather cell just look at the trees and see if the wind is blowing, if the wind moves the leaves in the tree tops that is usually a pretty good day of sailing in my experience. remember the wind will generally build as the day progresses and will ease off so make sure you take this into account when sailing a significant distance from home.

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.