Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

dimensions and trailers  Bottom

• I'm looking into buying a used 14' Hobie Cat for my husband, and the one I'm researching doesn't have a trailer. Do regular boat trailers work for Hobies too, or does the width/dimensions of a Hobie require a specific type of trailer? Does anyone know how wide 14' Hobies are? Thanks!!
  • H14s are small. i dont know the exact width. someone can easily adapt a regular boat trailer to accommodate a Hobie cat, but you husband would have to be a bit of a handy man. if you were looking to surprise him with a regular boat trailer and cat, it wont work. i would suggest finding a cat trailer

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • I own a Hobie 14. The boat itself is about 7' 8" wide. A regular boat trailer will not do. You need a trailer set up specifically for catamarans. Basically what sets catamaran trailers apart is the two cross bars with rollers on either side to support the hulls and a mast support on the tongue of the trailer. Many used trailers that have been used for larger catamarans will likely work but might need adjustment to fit the 14. HTH

By the way, your husband is a very lucky man. I can't recall my wife ever doing research on sailboats much less buying one for me. I'm just happy when she agrees to go sailing with me. icon_cool

edited by: DaveW70, Oct 13, 2010 - 03:26 PM

--
    Dave Wilson
    Hobie 16, Hobie 14
    Tampa, FL
    --
  • Hi I got a '57 model Lyman trailer- the old wooden motorboat had rotted. I rebuilt the hubs, and had a welder add 2 box beams to support the hulls for under $100, then re-used the rollers from the stinkboat and had my trailer working for a song. When I sold this '76 Hobie 16 - the buyer wanted to upgrade from his converted camper trailer to mine- still running fine in about 2002. In most states you will need the Title- good luck with that part.
    John
  • jennifer.mcinnisI'm looking into buying a used 14' Hobie Cat for my husband, and the one I'm researching doesn't have a trailer. Do regular boat trailers work for Hobies too, or does the width/dimensions of a Hobie require a specific type of trailer? Does anyone know how wide 14' Hobies are? Thanks!!

Hello, welcome to TheBeachcats.com, your husband is indeed lucky. icon_smile

Before you go looking for a trailer, let's make sure that the Hobie 14 is a good fit for him. Most beachcats do come with trailers as part of the sale. It sounds like you haven't seen a lot of catamarans on trailers, so below is a picture of a kind of rusty one that shows the cross-bars that support the hulls. Beachcat trailers also have at least a front mast support (the straight up piece at the front" and sometimes a rear mast support like the one shown. The rear mast support isn't very important for most cats.

Has your husband sailed beachcats before? The big question about a Hobie 14 is "how much does he weigh"? The Hobie 14 can't handle much weight, it's pretty small with low hull volume. If he is under 170 pounds he can still enjoy it, otherwise you should probably look for something a little bigger.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/classifieds/data/4/trailer2.jpg

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • I agree with Damon 100% my first hobie was a 14 turbo and when I was 135lbs (yes a long time ago) it was a great boat but i couldn't take anyone with me without bogging it down. I highly recommend a hobie 16! They are cheap and plentyful easy to learn and very forgiving and work well solo or with an occasional crew. 2 feet seems like a small thing but you get a lot for it at more or less the same price as a 14. You picked the right time to buy as the cooler weather tends to drop the prices so look around and you will find some amazing deals.

If you have any questions or doubts feel free to ask any of us, we will be galad to welcome you and your man into the fold .

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.