Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Sunglasses for sailing  Bottom

• Hi all,

I've noticed that the sunglasses I wear when sailing begin to deteriorate quite quickly, the inside of the lenses begin to peel and blister reducing vision. (Not to mention the cost of replacing them regularly.)

I sail in ocean water, so salty, but I always rinse them in fresh water immediately afterwards.

I've been wearing oaklies. Is there something else I should be doing to look after them or should I be using another brand, is there a brand that is good for saltwater?
  • I seem to recall Oaklies have a very good warranty on them, or at least they did. You may try returning them as defective. Having the lense coating peel off seems like a defect they would stand behind. I know Oaklies and others make lenses that repel water, so it beads up and runs off. Like rain-x for your glasses. That is a nice feature.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I use oakley water jackets. They have lasted me the past 3 years. I just wipe them down with the solution that comes with them to repel water. I put it all over them. http://www.oakley.com/pd/2044
  • Buy a lot of 20 really cheap sunglasses on ebay and chuck as needed. Or get a nice pair of rudy projects if the lenses peel or get scratched you send them back and they replace them no questions asked. I just sent my 5 year old rudy frames back after I sat on them and they replaced them with brand new ones for 1/2 retail.

Dave

edited by: Wolfman, Oct 11, 2010 - 05:14 PM

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • there are several high end glasses available.

BARZ are highly recommended...
    Spex, Bolle's also have a good following

i personally have avoided polarized as they make reading an LCD gps, and cell phones VERY hard to see.
  • I use to wear some Polarized glasses,
    I had the same problem as you....

Plus, after i took them off...my eye's hurt.

MN3there are several high end glasses available.

BARZ are highly recommended...
    Spex, Bolle's also have a good following

i personally have avoided polarized as they make reading an LCD gps, and cell phones VERY hard to see.

--
    Tyler holmes
    Panama city, FL

Boat whore
    --
  • Foster Grant. $15.99 at Wallgreens. Allegedly they're polarized but I just dig the amber lenses - makes everything crystal sharp on the water.
  • http://www.gill-gear.com/…637%29/product_info.html

Work for me. They replaced a black pair of the same ones for me under warranty. The black ones sucked, the red ones are great. I'm old so I couldn't care less what they look like, but I am concerned with what the see like :)

Cheers!
  • Ok, cheers guys. So at least, I'm not missing anything completely obvious. It's happened to 2 pairs of Oaklies now, so I was beginning to think I was doing something wrong.

Now, I'll just have to see if I can dig those receipts out...
  • "go and get yourself some cheap sunglasses"...ZZ TOP. that way your not bummed out when they get lost/stolen/destroyed! on a day with any seas i can't wear them because of the constant spray-in-the-face but on a calm day they are nice.

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Good advice Coastrat, in true "we can have fun for less" fashion, my sailing googles are purchased from a lil' place we call the $ General for $6.00 a pop. Was Monday, Monday, Monday so good to you?

--
    Hank, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, P16 - "Sideways"
    --
  • thanks for asking, it was super exciting!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Tan Russians and Vancleave special treats?

--
    Hank, Hattiesburg, Mississippi, P16 - "Sideways"
    --
  • Sorry guys- eye doctor's perspective here=

I can't believe that on a sailing forum nobody would mention Maui Jim. I've owned several pairs without complaints. Best optics available in a sun lens. Salt water resistant- never had any rust. MJ will fix sunglasses forever for small fee. I stepped on mine (= major squish) once and sent them in for new lenses. Received a brand new pair for the $60 I sent for the lenses.

It is true about polarized lenses and LCD's as all LCD's have polarizing filters which can block all light when angled wrong to another filter (i.e. sunglasses). However, I don't keep a GPS on my NACRA and find it fairly easy to remove them when I am using the phone (not on the boat). IMO, the ability of a GOOD polarized lens to cut the glare off of the water far outweighs the inconvenience of not being able to text while sailing. :)

--
    Eric C

Force 5 project boat
    Unnamed

Previous boat
    1980 Nacra 5.2
    "Double Vision"
    --
  • I like my Maui Jim's also, but the Oakley's I have provide better coverage while sailing. They also have a good warranty program which I have had to use. Make sure what ever glasses you use they are UV protection rated. I seem to recall some cheap sunglasses didn't use to be, and being on the water with tinted glasses that don't block UV rays could be a very bad combination.

Just something to look at when getting cheap sunglasses, since non UV blocking glasses are worse on your eyes then no sunglasses. At least that is the urban myth I currently believe....

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • I wouldn't go out without my polarized lenses...

How the heck can you see things floating right below the surface without them?!

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.