Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Where to sail/launch in Sacramento CA?  Bottom

• I am a new beachcat owner and I live in Davis, CA. I have been sailing out at Folsom Lake a few times, but the wind is very inconcisistent this time of year. It will be blowing at my house and like glass at the lake. I do live somewhat close to Lake Berryessa. Does anyone have a recomendations on where to launch? I was also wondering about good launch spots at Clear Lake?

thanks for the help
  • You didn't say what you sail so I will offer two suggestions. Check out the Hobie Division 3 website which lists the northern California fleets and contacts. Most Hobie Fleets have "fun" sails and regattas at many area lakes. You should also check out the Multi Hull Racing Association. MHRA has events all over northern CA, NV and OR and dont say "bring what you sail and sail what you bring." I remember sailing in the deep water basin at the Sacramento Harbor in West Sac. when I was younger. Rio Vista is also just a short hop as is the Richmond Yacht club. Clear Lake and Berryessa are ???? with the fall alge growth.
  • Check out Hobie Fleet 2

http://pages.suddenlink.net/dfreeman2008/

Great group of people located around Northern California. They do a lot of weekend campout sailing events. Mainly family oriented, but some racers still in the fleet. My brother has been in the fleet for years, and I try to sail with them whenever I get back to the area. If you don't have a Hobie they won't hold it against you, several members have non-hobie boats. I am originally from Davis.

Usually when you get the delta breeze, Rio Vista is a good place to sail. It can get very windy, so hopefully you have some sailing experience before going there. It also is tidal, so watch the current if the wind isn't very strong. Folsom can be inconsistant as you mentioned. There are some foothill lakes that get a more steady wind. Fleet 2 can help you identify them.

I never sailed Berryessa, I always assumed the wind would be gusty around the hills there. If you want a SMALL but warm lake, you can try Ranch Seco which is near Galt. Good spring and fall sailing due to water temp and it gets some of the delta breeze. Nice place for a picnic/sailing afternoon.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Benicia CA is about 50 miles from Davis. It has a great public ramp and is by far the most reliable breeze in this area.

Sullivar

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.