Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Can you get replacement cams?  Bottom

• The cam cleat on my traveler gave out. It worked fine one day, the next, it wouldn't cleat. I noticed that one cam would move all the way inwards, while the other hardly moved from centered.
    My first thought was a spring had broken, cleaning & closer inspection revealed that the teeth have the sharp edges worn down.
    I can make it sort of work by using really thick line,that gives some grip at the periphery, where the teeth are not so worn, but the line is to thick to tie off at the eyestrap.
    I robbed the aluminum cam cleat off my Invitation, but the mounting holes are a slightly different size, & I can't mount it flush with the base. Same goes for the cleat on my righting bag, it is also aluminum, & harldy ever gets used, but it won't quite fit this Holt Allen base.
    Can you buy just the cams, or do you have to fork out appx $40 + shipping ($30 from Murrays) & buy the entire unit?
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76627&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=17f9e78662a57d6e4c6b82e7a643f32a

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Mystere 6.0XL Sold Was a handful solo
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    Bombardier Invitation (Now officially DEAD)
    Various other Dock cluttering WaterCrap
    --
  • Ed,
    I think I have a bunch of the Harken cleats laying around somewhere. Give me some time to check. In the picture, I'm assuming the Holt-Allen cleat came off the Invitation. Measure the distance center hole to center hole on the bottom plate. Please confirm.

--
    Philip
    --
  • Thanks Philip. I'm in Shanghai right now, home Thurs evening. I will measure when I get home, I think it was 1 1/2". The cleat in the photo is the wornout one that I took off the Nacra.
    The difference between what I took off & the robbed part was only 1/16" or so, just enough that it wouldn't accept the mounting screws quite right.
    I was going to just rob the cams, but the Holt-Allen just unscrews, the others seem to have the cams riveted on, plus the different units hold the springs a different way.
    If it turns out the hole are a tiny bit off, I may have to just redrill.
    The one in the photo does not screw into threaded holes, those bolts you see go through a plate, with nots on the backside.

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --
  • Philip, here are the measurements of the Holt-Allen that came off my Nacra.
    http://www.thebeachcats.com/gallery2/main.php?g2_view=core.DownloadItem&g2_itemId=76648&g2_serialNumber=4&g2_GALLERYSID=0c7316a49b9efdfe55f56c1fc12f84f5

It measures 1 19/32" center to center, very odd dimension. I don't have to thread those small bolts into anything, on my 5.7 they go through another steel plate, & are secured by nuts. If your old Harkens measure 1 1/2", I'll just re-drill one mounting hole in the steel plate. If the actual cams will fit on the HA base, that would also work, but the little togs that hold the springs might not work.
    Thanks

--
    Hobie 18 Magnum
    Dart 15
    Nacra 5.7
    Nacra 5.0
    --

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.