Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

Catamaran wipes out at Little Fistral Beach  Bottom

• Glenn Crawley, the owner of the catamaran, is know for being an extreme sailor and has already been banned from Newquay Harbor.

http://www.newquaysurfer.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/03.jpg

How does one get banned from a Harbor?! icon_eek
    I found out... idiots. icon_rolleyes

Speaking of idiots... the last article says multiple times he has a Hobie 16 when obviously all the photos are not a Hobie 16... I guess all cats are Hobie 16s until proven otherwise. icon_mad

Oh and ouch...
    http://www.newquaysurfer.org/wp-content/uploads/2010/09/8.jpg

edited by: lonbordin, Sep 29, 2010 - 10:54 AM

--
    LIVE LIFE... Dave Wilcox
    Trac 18
    Bloomington, IN
    --
  • i love that the boat is named mischief

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Quotethe last article says multiple times he has a Hobie 16 when obviously all the photos are not a Hobie 16... I guess all cats are Hobie 16s until proven otherwise

It's a dart.

its very common for people to call all beachcats hobies
  • Kevin219i love that the boat is named mischief

WAS named my good sir! That one's not comin' back.

MN3
    It's a dart.

its very common for people to call all beachcats hobies

But to be so specific?? "a Hobie 16"
    Can't trust what ya' read! :)
  • I note two things about this article:

1) At least he's wearing a PFD, so he's not a complete idiot!

2) It seems to me that the public might be jumping the gun a bit with calling for help when he flips the boat. Last summer my buddy and I were out sailing my P16 on several occasions when our sole goal for the day was to see how high we could fly the hull and for how long - obviously we were bound to flip it and did. We can right the boat together pretty easily and quickly. On a couple of occasions however the harbor patrol came hauling butt over to our location. Someone on shore had tipped them off that we had flipped cuz we certainly didn't call for help! I know also from years of lifeguarding that I've responded to many public 911 calls that turn out to be very capable waterman enjoying the day and their trade but the public misinterprets what they are seeing. With that being said, I'd rather have help arrive and not need them than vice-versa!

--
    Scott
    1982 Nacra 5.2 "Great White"
    Ledbetter Beach, Santa Barbara, CA
    --
  • Well he is sailing in England. English people are notorious for overreacting like that. And local governments can be very prescriptive over there, they have no qualms about telling people what to do. The fact that they don't even know what type of boat he owns (Darts are probably the most popular Cat in England) tells me there are some facts missing.

That being said it looks like this guys is indeed an idiot! How many of us have ever called for help ourselves from the coast guard even when learning? A fellow boater holding up the mast or providing a tow to right the boat really doesn't count, everyone has had the occasional problem righting thier boat. Maybe a handfull of people have needed to call the coast guard due to massive boat failure or conditions suddenly changing. Not only that even when we push it most of us know our limits and when things get really dangerous we go in for a beer. Not many people don't realize that this sport carries some risk of injury and breakage, but he seems to ignore that.

I wouldn't hesitate to say that if he capsizes and is in the water long enough that someone calls 911 and the coast guard arrives, well I beg to differ on his opinion that he didn't need help. If you are competent and prepared for a capsize even if a spectator calls them, the coast guard should show up to find that you have sailed away and go and smack the spectator.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    Winnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
    --
  • i like the "extreme sailing, more like extremely bad sailing" and "bloody menace" the harbor master called him...

edited by: coastrat, Sep 29, 2010 - 05:26 PM

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • Yes the color commentary at the end was very nice.
  • i actually feel bad for this idiot. he says he can right it himself. he isnt calling for help himself. for a yacht club to vote a man off the island for capsizing alot is obsurd. its true he should be pentalized for abandoning a boat out there or for calling for help himself but does it really take 16 people to respond to a capsized dart??

--
    Nacra 6.0 NA
    Ogden Dunes, IN
    --
  • Hey coastrat remind me not to go there, I resemble those remarks

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • Terry, don't forget that the consequences of losing it in the seas around England are much higher than most of the places we sail. The water is COLD and the currents are insane. Next stop Norway!

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • Idiot or not, I hate to see a nice Dart goto waste.
  • golfdad 75, first you will have to run up a huge coast guard rescue bill and trash a couple of boats before you are in the same league with captain calamity...for that matter, you will have to flip the boat first to even begin your journey!

--
    Check out "Prindle Sailors" on Facebook!
    bill harris
    hattiesburg, mississippi
    prindle 16- "BLUE RIBBON"
    --
  • I always wanted to sail in a Fjord.

WolfmanTerry, don't forget that the consequences of losing it in the seas around England are much higher than most of the places we sail. The water is COLD and the currents are insane. Next stop Norway!

--
    Nacra 5.2
    --
  • i have been on the fjords in norge (Norway). I had man over-board watch from 3am-4am. the weather was so rough they had to lash my arm to the rail.. as if i went over... no one would know until my relief came to that post.

that being said, it was beautiful and the people were amazing
  • video posted (i didnt see this before)

http://www.telegraph.co.u…-boat-for-13th-time.html
  • I bet it was the surfers that were really p-o'd about him taking his cat onto a "once every year" surf break.

I wish that video started earlier to see what his skill level really is, the part that is shown he's just wallowing around.

Watch this video of the Nissan Pro Team surfing the waves (with surfers) on Hobie Tigers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPX3wePeKX4&p

They crash too, but have their own support crew on rescue jet skis.

--
    Damon Linkous
    1992 Hobie 18
    Memphis, TN

How To Create Your Signature

How To Create Your Own Cool Avatar

How To Display Pictures In The Forums.
    --
  • Wow, what a novel idea! Bringing your own support when you are planning on doing something crazy. icon_lol

I would say that that would define the difference between a conscientious "extreme sports" enthusiast and a complete moron. Too bad Mr. Calamity didn't see that video before he broke his boat! Hopefully he's too cheap to buy another.

--
    Dave Bonin
    1981 Nacra 5.2 "Lucile"
    1986 Nacra 5.7 "Belle"
    --
  • damonAdminI bet it was the surfers that were really p-o'd about him taking his cat onto a "once every year" surf break.

I wish that video started earlier to see what his skill level really is, the part that is shown he's just wallowing around.

Watch this video of the Nissan Pro Team surfing the waves (with surfers) on Hobie Tigers.
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kPX3wePeKX4&p

They crash too, but have their own support crew on rescue jet skis.

OK... as a surfer I can tell you we get fairly P.O.'d at any large water craft (powered or unpowered) cruising through the lineup. This includes all forms of PWCs, kayaks, etc.

It's not a territorial thing its a save our ass thing. When the Hobie Tiger went through that crowded lineup they were risking hurting someone really badly. There is NO way they could have avoided someone popping up slightly outside of a "normal" area. icon_eek

What jerks! icon_mad

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options
  • 0 users

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.