Welcome anonymous guest

Please Support
TheBeachcats.com

New owner of H18, need tehcnical advise.  Bottom

• I just picked up a 1985 H18 and took it our for the first time yesterday. I'm NEVER going back to a monohull!

Since the boat is a bit older it does need some work. Where's is the best place to buy parts? I need:

Top section of forestay, I made a temporary one for yesterday out of cable from the hardware store. Can I buy this part without the swival? Or have the swivals ever been known to fail and I should replace mine?

Travaller bushings. The white plastic that slides in the rear cross bar is extremly worn and almost ready to pull through.

Comp tip... Maybe. I think I see a hair line crack about 2" long midway down. Anyone ever add a fiberglass patch or should it just be replaced?

edited by: car_guy, Sep 25, 2010 - 09:56 AM
  • Congrats on the new boat. You've discovered the problem with cat sailing. It spoils you for anything else. The speed alone is addictive not to mention the hull flying. I've done a fair amount of racing and cruising on monohulls and now whenever I am on one it seems as if we're dragging an anchor.

I really can't advise you on your particular repairs but I do know some good places to get parts. I do a lot of my parts shopping on the web since I am about on hour and a half from a Hobie dealer. Here are some on-line dealers that I use and like:

Murray's (www.murrays.com)
    Backyard Boats (www.backyardboats.com)
    Salty Dog Marine (www.saltydogmarine.com)
    Mauri Pro Sailing (www.mauriprosailing.com)

I have experienced excellent service with all of them. I particularly like Backyard Boats for new Hobie parts since they have the Hobie parts catalogs on their site. They are a local Hobie dealer in Woodbridge, Va I believe. They are very friendly and helpful. They all sell only new parts of course. For used, there is a guy here on The Beach Cats site that has a standing ad for H16 and H18 parts in the used parts classified which I presume you already saw. And of course you also have eBay and Craigslists as resources. Good Luck.

--
    Dave Wilson
    Hobie 16, Hobie 14
    Tampa, FL
    --
  • Congrats on the 18. I have an '84.

1) You need the swivel to allow you to furl the jib. Below is a parts list. You can order 18 parts from Hobie as well.

http://2010.archive.hobie…upport/pdfs/PARTS_18.pdf

Assembly guide may help as well:

http://2010.archive.hobie…t/pdfs/H18&SX_Manual.pdf

To repair the traveler car you will need to pull the end cap/rivets off the boom. If you need a shock cord in the boom (like I do) this is a good time to do that as well.

Does your boat have the upgrade brackets at the crossbar? I am going to have to add these to my boat. Here is a thread about this issue.

http://www.hobiecat.com/f…it=coleman+hull&start=15

Good Luck!!!

--
    David
    Memphis, TN
    '84 Hobie 18
    --

• QuoteTo repair the traveler car you will need to pull the end cap/rivets off the boom. If you need a shock cord in the boom (like I do) this is a good time to do that as well.

I think car guy was talking about the main sheet travler system. Those are easily replaced. There is a plastic short dowel and ball that run in the rear cross bar. I replaced mine a few years back but don't remember exactly how, but fairly quick and easy if I recall (at least I don't recall a lot of cussing and throwing of tools).

I have an 84 H18. Great boats, lots of run.

I would recommend looking at replacing all the standing rigging (cables) that hold your mast up. Especially if you live near salt water, you never know how old those are or what condition they really are in. Better to replace now then have your mast come down when it is windy and you are having fun.

Not sure what to tell you on the comp-tip crack. Might not be a big issue, but repairing is probably a good idea. I have a solid mast so not familiar with the comp-tip, but I had been told they are solid, so you might be able to screw a reenforcement over the crack, but others may have better ideas.

Again congrats on the boat, hope you get back on the water soon.

--
    Scott,
    ‘92 H18 w/SX wings
    ‘95 Hobie Funseeker 12 (Holder 12)
    ‘96/‘01/‘14 Hobie Waves
    --
  • Swivel:
    They don't often fail but can. If sand or dirt gets into the system you either need to soak with hot water to break up the salts, flush with water to remove dirt, or if it's a harken style you can order new bearings and do a refurb (look in the tech galleries on this site for details). if it's a ronstan style, there is no upgrade or refurb kit.

You will want to replace the swivel if it's damaged. to important of a part to go without (so you can furl the jib in heavy air and for beaching)

you can order the traveler car bearings. I don't think they make the slug anymore, so you will have to order 2 balls (unless i am incorrect). they are very simple to change out. The entire car will slide off the rear beam if you push it all the way to starboard.
  • congrats on the 18, I just picked up an 82 this summer.

If you don't mind used parts I can give a big thumbs up for the guy here on the beachcats page (presailedparts) I picked up sails, a furler and boom from him. He was really easy to deal with.

Have fun with that 18

--
    82 Hobie 18 (smurf boat)
    --
  • Dave at Presailed Parts http://thebeachcats.com/PreSailedParts is great. I may have that swivel/jib hlyd blk and hlyd/assembly if you choose to replace it. I too would reccomend replacing all the shrouds with new if you think the boat ever saw salt water.

Dave Farmer 509 276 6355

No HTML tags allowed (except inside [code][/code] tags)

• Options

This list is based on users active over the last 60 minutes.